What's new

Question re: Guest Network Setings (I'm Missing Something Obvious)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Geodude633

Occasional Visitor
I just have a question that makes me feel like I must be missing something really obvious: on the Guest Network settings, there are three "Enable" buttons under each radio's section (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). I have the first colum's "Enable" buttons set (so they now show "Disable", as expected), and the guest networks have been working fine/as expected.

But what are the middle column's "Enable" buttons used for (the third column's buttons purpose is obvious/stated...Alexa/IFTTT)?

GuestNet.jpg

Take a look at the menu that opens whenyou enable the guest settings, first column shouls be "1" second should be "2" , so you can have 2 networks and the 3rd for Alexa/IFTTT

Ah, thanks (makes sense), but...wouldn't that only apply to GUEST networks (since we're on the GUEST network settings)? (Sorry for these dumb questions, but the Asus interface is a bit different from what I've seen before...i.e., Netgear, Synology, DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and Linksys).

I just have a question that makes me feel like I must be missing something really obvious: on the Guest Network settings, there are three "Enable" buttons under each radio's section (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz). I have the first colum's "Enable" buttons set (so they now show "Disable", as expected), and the guest networks have been working fine/as expected.

But what are the middle column's "Enable" buttons used for (the third column's buttons purpose is obvious/stated...Alexa/IFTTT)?

View attachment 39425

Enable means to enable, not Enabled. Your pic shows no guest WLANs enabled... not broadcasting... not visible to wireless clients.

There are 6 guest WLANs on a dual-band wireless router... 2.4-1,2,3 and 5.0-1,2,3. Select Enable and configure any that you want to use, typically guest1 WLANs 2.4-1 and 5.0-1... which can sync to AiMesh remote nodes, should keep clients off your intranet, and will have IPs *.*.101.* and *.*.102.*.

Guest clients listed in the router webUI will be flagged Index (idx) 1,2,3, respectively; subject to the usual client listing abnormalities.

The Alexa stuff is new to me and I won't be using it.

OE

Thanks, but...the pic is just from the manual (I didn't bother with a screenshot and masking my personal info). As I originally stated, the column's buttons now show "Disable" and the Guest Networks are working fine.

My question dealt with the second column, which AndreiV answered (thank you).

But my follow-up question remains: wouldn't enabling the second column's buttons only apply to GUEST networks (since we're on the GUEST network settings)?

Again, I apologize for the ignorance (this interface and two networks for each "band", and resultant IP addresses, are a little different to me from all of the ones I'm accustomed to).

But my follow-up question remains: wouldn't enabling the second column's buttons only apply to GUEST networks (since we're on the GUEST network settings)?
I can't understand where your confusion lies. All 6 "Enable" buttons activate a specific guest network, 3 on the 2.4GHz band and 3 on the 5GHz band. That seems fairly straight forward. There aren't any "non-guest" networks here (the 2 Alexa buttons are just normal guest networks that can be controlled by Alexa).

Last edited:
Thanks, but...the pic is just from the manual (I didn't bother with a screenshot and masking my personal info). As I originally stated, the column's buttons now show "Disable" and the Guest Networks are working fine.

My question dealt with the second column, which AndreiV answered (thank you).

Again, I apologize for the ignorance (this interface and two networks for each "band", and resultant IP addresses, are a little different to me from all of the ones I'm accustomed to).

I missed that you were quoting a pic from a manual... I thought you were confused. We all have that same image in our Asus routers on the Guest Network page.

Here's a quick summary of that page:

The 2 WiFi bands each offer 3 guest WLANs, yielding a total of 6 guest WLANs... 2x3=6. Use one of the 6 Enable buttons to enable and configure one of the 6 guest WLANs.

And never mind what you are accustomed to if it doesn't help with what you are doing now. No self-deprecation required, imo. Technology changes fast, and often for no good or obvious reason.. roll with it.

OE

Thanks, OzarkEdge. In any case, router operation has been flawless (I just have to get accustomed to the Asus style).

But as long as I (hopefully) have your (and others?) attention, I have another dumb question that I haven't found any answer to (maybe it's just my lack of familiarity with Asus firmware): why are the wireless network passwords not masked on the web setup screens (there is no button or switch present to do so)?

why are the wireless network passwords not masked on the web setup screens (there is no button or switch present to do so)?

No good or obvious reason.

OE

Guest networks usually don't have 'secret' passwords. Seems logical to me. :)

Guest networks usually don't have 'secret' passwords. Seems logical to me. :)

Even non-guest WLAN passwords are not masked in the webUI... login and there they are on the front page for all to see.

OE

The main password field on the RT-AX86U (RMerlin 386.5 Beta 1) is masked. Just like it's been on all previous firmware.

The main password field on the RT-AX86U (RMerlin 386.5 Beta 1) is masked. Just like it's been on all previous firmware.

For the sake of this topic, assume the OP is using OEM, released firmware and looking at System Status on the home page of the webUI.

OE

That would be assuming wrong. For me.

I don't use the OEM firmware longer than it takes to flash RMerlin firmware onto it.

Thanks for pointing this out (if it's what is happening for all OEM users). Just one more reason to use RMerlin firmware from the start.

That would be assuming wrong. For me.

I don't use the OEM firmware longer than it takes to flash RMerlin firmware onto it.

Thanks for pointing this out (if it's what is happening for all OEM users). Just one more reason to use RMerlin firmware from the start.
Sure...if/when it's available (it's not as of now, and probably won't be).

What's "logical" to me would be to mask any passwords (and not just routers, either).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!