What's new

[Question] RT-AC88U Strange Behaviour After Power Outage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sentinelvdx

Very Senior Member
Hi,

Before I had one time where after a power outage config. reset to factory defaults... (just flashed config. and solved it)

But this time was different. After power loss... I switched it back on when power came back and found router bootlooping... and noticed that WiFi's SSID were the defaults ASUS_XX_XX instead of my SSID names I've setup.

I flashed firm again using recovery mode. But as soon as I put the USB thumb drive bootloop started again.

So I had to reflash again (no way to reset config)... and had to format usb drive before plugin it again.

This router was running 384.12 Merlin's + AMTM + Diversion + Uptime ConMon + Diversion UI Stats + FreshJR QoS + 2GB SWAP

So how can I prevent this issue to happen again? It would kill me if I'm far away from home and have to access my Home's LAN

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965F Duos

Hi,

Before I had one time where after a power outage config. reset to factory defaults... (just flashed config. and solved it)

But this time was different. After power loss... I switched it back on when power came back and found router bootlooping... and noticed that WiFi's SSID were the defaults ASUS_XX_XX instead of my SSID names I've setup.

I flashed firm again using recovery mode. But as soon as I put the USB thumb drive bootloop started again.

So I had to reflash again (no way to reset config)... and had to format usb drive before plugin it again.

This router was running 384.12 Merlin's + AMTM + Diversion + Uptime ConMon + Diversion UI Stats + FreshJR QoS + 2GB SWAP

So how can I prevent this issue to happen again? It would kill me if I'm far away from home and have to access my Home's LAN

Thanks

Try a UPS it should keep the devices powered for long enough to be turned off or till the power comes back

Try a UPS it should keep the devices powered for long enough to be turned off or till the power comes back
I know, but UPS holds power for some time, so it's not a solution to this behaviour. And that's what happened... my NAS detects UPS it's on battery and shutdown, but router does not.
That's why I'm asking how to prevent this issue from happening again.

I know, but UPS holds power for some time, so it's not a solution to this behaviour. And that's what happened... my NAS detects UPS it's on battery and shutdown, but router does not.
That's why I'm asking how to prevent this issue from happening again.

Question is your router on a surge protector board by any chance?

Question is your router on a surge protector board by any chance?
No, it's connected to a UPS as well as my NAS

No, it's connected to a UPS as well as my NAS

Question have you tested a different usb during the boot loop time, mabye it's possible the flash drive was worn out, last time I was using one and had a power outage it made my router at random turn off and require me to press the power button a few times for it to work.

But everything worked fine scrips wise, this is just my suggestion but you could test a different flash drive brand or a USB 3 one.

Question have you tested a different usb during the boot loop time, mabye it's possible the flash drive was worn out, last time I was using one and had a power outage it made my router at random turn off and require me to press the power button a few times for it to work.

But everything worked fine scrips wise, this is just my suggestion but you could test a different flash drive brand or a USB 3 one.
No, I didn't test another usb drive at that time. But checked it and it was fine.
In fact now router is running with same usb drive hosting @thelonelycoder scripts but had like I said.. flash router in recovery, restore config., format usb drive and reinstall all scripts.
If that happens again when I'm gone I'm lost because part of my work I have it at home and need to access it remotely everyday

No, I didn't test another usb drive at that time. But checked it and it was fine.
In fact now router is running with same usb drive hosting @thelonelycoder scripts but had like I said.. flash router in recovery, restore config., format usb drive and reinstall all scripts.
If that happens again when I'm gone I'm lost because part of my work I have it at home and need to access it remotely everyday

I understand how that feels, my router is Misson critical due to it powering my network without it the VoIP goes down and I need it because the mobile signal I'm my area is hopless, I've wondered is it possible to have a back up flash drive to plug in or some ways to remotely restore a back up of sort?

Nothing can be done about a fully or partially corrupt drive.

I use the biggest UPS I can buy for just the router and modem/ONT. But I understand that even that won't protect from certain extended brown outs or power surges.

There are different quality levels of UPS', just as there are different quality levels of USB drives too. You'll have to decide what level of each you're comfortable with.

But for the main issue (power loss) unless you install a backup power generator, there is no real solution.

Nothing can be done about a fully or partially corrupt drive.

I use the biggest UPS I can buy for just the router and modem/ONT. But I understand that even that won't protect from certain extended brown outs or power surges.

There are different quality levels of UPS', just as there are different quality levels of USB drives too. You'll have to decide what level of each you're comfortable with.

But for the main issue (power loss) unless you install a backup power generator, there is no real solution.
Yes, about power issue I can't do anything more than a UPS.
My main concern is about after power loss to ensure my router will boot correctly and not having to reflash firmware (again, it's the first time on different power outages that happens).
Because if this happens again and I'm far away from home my network will be isolated until I get back home (my wife has no idea how to solve a thing like this) and I can't put some confidential data on the cloud to have a copy there because it's from work.

But think I'll need to think on an alternative in cas my router fails

Yes, about power issue I can't do anything more than a UPS.
My main concern is about after power loss to ensure my router will boot correctly and not having to reflash firmware (again, it's the first time on different power outages that happens).
Because if this happens again and I'm far away from home my network will be isolated until I get back home (my wife has no idea how to solve a thing like this) and I can't put some confidential data on the cloud to have a copy there because it's from work.

But think I'll need to think on an alternative in cas my router fails

Again, the quality of the UPS and the USB drive is key here. But there are no guarantees (ever).

How much data are we talking about? You can pick up a 'secure' USB drive that is always on you for very little cost vs. what it would take to bullet-proof your home network. :)

If you're interested in alternative approaches you can run a home automation software (i.e. OpenHAB or Home Assistant; I use Home Assistant) on a low power device (such as Raspberry Pi or NUC) to monitor and control both UPS (with NUT sensor) and router; it also comes with fancy graphs and all sorts of notification services.

Then have Rpi turn off router if power is down for more than say (if after dry test you found that UPS battery holds up for 2.5 hours) 2 hours.

The purpose of either HA or OH is far beyond any specific use mentioned here.