1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Questions from new Voxel firmware user (R7800)

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AC Wireless' started by G.Wiz, Sep 9, 2019.

1. G.Wiz

G.Wiz New Around Here

Long time Asus user running asuswrt-merlin. Recently got R7800 and after hours of hair-pulling found it unusable with NG firmware. Tried DD-WRT but had issues with UI. Flashed V1.0.2.69SF and all good with noted exceptions below.

Is it possible to restrict router admin access to specific devices on LAN?

Also, is there no WoL feature? Have this accessible from webui in merlin and sorely miss it.

Lastly, a minor quibble, but when naming and categorizing attached devices and applying changes, some device changes doesn't stick: blank page loads and after returning to Attached Devices, settings same as before.

2. e38BimmerFN

e38BimmerFN Very Senior Member

3. G.Wiz

G.Wiz New Around Here

Thanks for the response and clarifying my "minor quibble" which was also an issue with dd-wrt.. Router has been stable with Voxel's since this past Sunday; seems to be a keeper.

4. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake Senior Member

I've been thinking about switching from my Asus AC86U Merlin to the R7800 Voxel for a while now. I'm curious to try this well regarded router for a change, after being with Asus for several years.

5. rk8531

rk8531 Regular Contributor

I switched from R7800 to Asus 86U and I don't regret switching :p. Though I still appreciate Voxel's efforts to still support this Netgear abandoned router.

6. G.Wiz

G.Wiz New Around Here

Haven't switched...yet, but am sorely missing Asus. Works with stock out of box, feature set for my use case easily accessible via gui.

7. e38BimmerFN

There was a FW release just this past July 2019 for the R7800. Not sure I would call it "abandoned". o_O

8. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

That was just a hot fix for a security issue nothing else was changed. Netgear has not released a firmware upgrade since January of 2019. That is the longest it's ever been. I am also starting to wonder if Netgear is on the verge of dumping support for the 7800 I sure hope not.

9. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

With the 7800 being generally available in 2016, I wouldn't expect any further support from NG, IMO, today. :(

10. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

o_O:(:eek:

11. e38BimmerFN

Ya the R7800 had been one of NGs work horses, however it has been on the docks for past few years. I presume eventually NG will probably call it EOL sometime in the future. I see the R7000 is still going and it had an update last month and still seems to be going. Though it maybe not long for EOL as well. Only NG knows. :oops:

12. LeKeiser

LeKeiser Occasional Visitor

But at one point, when the router is stable, why a new firmware? Do you update your BIOS when it's working fine? Unless there is a security risk, there's no need, and even the makers recommend not to update when things are working well.

kamoj, Voxel, Starrbuck and 1 other person like this.
  13. Voxel

Voxel Very Senior Member

EOL. I do not think so. First, release of a stock firmware is rather rare event. All the time. Usually when new security hole was found for all routers.

Second, there was problem with QoS server name resolving in January if I am not mistaken when it could not be resolved. Currently it is ok.

updates.r7800.netgear.streamboost.yeti.bigfootnetworks.com

you may ping it. It is alive.

Third. And I did not see R7800 in EOL list. I've seen R7500v1...

P.S. And also my releases decreases the number of alarms to NG support for R7800 (forcing NG to release of new stock :)

Voxel.

Murtaza12, kamoj, Gar and 1 other person like this.
  14. ryan806

ryan806 Occasional Visitor

I've had 2 86U's which i have had to return due to the wireless dropping, i picked up the R7800 after i heard about Voxel's firmware. :)

LeKeiser likes this.
  15. Voxel

Voxel Very Senior Member

Really? I was sure that ASUS routers are pretty stable re: wireless connection. Have you tried firmware from Merlin for your 86U?

Voxel.

16. ryan806

ryan806 Occasional Visitor

Hi Voxel. Yeah I have used Merlin no issues there. I think the 86U's i had were faulty to be honest, I know its a good router but fancied a change.

kamoj likes this.
  17. kamoj

kamoj Senior Member

htismaqe likes this.