What's new

Questions re MOCA Network Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rico99

New Around Here
Need help figuring out options for setting up MOCA network.

Cox cable user - internet, phone & tv

Currently have 2 coax cables coming into house:
Cable 1 - carrries internet & phone, goes from Arris box on outside wall into main cable box on outside wall, then thru Arcom FRS 50-6 device to cable modem, then router (in office)
Cable 2 - carries TV, connected to 4 way splitter in box on outside wall, goes to 4 rooms (3 bedrooms & family room)

There is an extra coax cable (disconnected by Cox when phone installed) in the main box outside which also goes to a bedroom where one of the TVs is located

Not sure how to set up MOCA network since cable modem and router are essentially disconnected from the rest of the coax lines. When internet was initially installed, only had one coax in from Cox that went to 6 way splitter. But that got changed when digital phone was installed.

Am thinking to reroute data/phone line to room with 2 coax outlets (one connected to TV, the other is the spare wire), then put cable modem and router in that room. Connect 1st MOCA adapter there to the "spare wire", with Ethernet going to router, then another Ethernet cable from router to second MOCA adapter (then to second coax outlet in that room) to feed internet signal back to the splitter with 4 cables connected (the "TV" line). Would then install MOCA adapters at each room and put MOCA filter in box outside on inlet side of splitter.

Not sure if this will work. Am looking for other ideas. Main objectives are to solve bad wireless connection in the room with 2 outlets (don't want to buy any more wireless equipment) and prepare for future install of DVR with cable card.

All help appreciated.

Does all of the coax come back to the same place outside the house?

If the cable modem coax and tv coax come back to the same spot, you can use a satellite diplexer to join the Moca signal onto the cable modem line by the household splitter. Then another one just before the cable modem to separate it out. I'll draw a diagram for you later.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00684D77A/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
Yes, all the coax goes back to a cable box attached on the exterior wall of the house. I drew a rough diagram and uploaded it.

Attachments

• cable setup.jpg
    cable setup.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 547
So here's the diagram that I think will work for you.

The TV splitter will need to be replaced with a Moca compatible splitter like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00558UJTO/?tag=snbforums-20

And again, the diplexers (which I have used as well as Holland's Moca splitters):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00684D77A/?tag=snbforums-20

The diplexers will separate the TV signal (below 1ghz) from the Moca signal (above 1ghz). They will also isolate your Moca net from the outside world. The only possible issues are that the increased attenuation may compromise your modem signal, and the possibility of a ground loop. You may need a ground loop isolator to prevent a ground loop.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017I3K9M/?tag=snbforums-20

Also, the Arcom device may need to be located between the modem and the nearest diplexer.

Attachments

• mocadiag.png
    mocadiag.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 936
Last edited:
Thanks, devnull. Looks like a great idea!

A few questions:
1. If I need the ground loop isolator, where would I likely need to install it?
2. Just to confirm, with the diplexers, no need for a Moca filter on the entry line to the modem?
3. If I hook a TV straight to one of the lines coming out of the splitter, would I need a Moca filter on the coax entering the TV? I'm assuming if I put a Moca adapter on the end of each line there would be no need for any filter between the adapter and the TV.

I really appreciate your help - will make the install a lot easier.

Thanks, devnull. Looks like a great idea!

A few questions:
1. If I need the ground loop isolator, where would I likely need to install it?

On the coax link between the two SAT ports on the leftmost diplexers.

2. Just to confirm, with the diplexers, no need for a Moca filter on the entry line to the modem?

Correct. The Moca frequencies will not be permitted on the RF port of the diplexer.

3. If I hook a TV straight to one of the lines coming out of the splitter, would I need a Moca filter on the coax entering the TV? I'm assuming if I put a Moca adapter on the end of each line there would be no need for any filter between the adapter and the TV.

TVs and cable STBs should have no issue with Moca frequencies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!