Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Quick question: How to back up ?

Discussion in 'General NAS Discussion' started by jasper13, Apr 16, 2018 at 4:48 AM.

1. jasper13

jasper13 New Around Here

Hello all,
    I've quick question.

What's the best way to automatically backup a USB (or eSATA) hard drive attached to my router (Linksys WRT1900AC)?

Note I don't want to backup "to" the drive; I want to backup what is stored on this drive if it is my primary music and photo storage location. Thanks.

btw, I'm assuming the answer is "no, it can't really be done"... but on the chance controllers are being built into routers to do just this I thought I'd ask, and see if this feature might have a name. After that I'm assuming a PC has to get involved
    Thanks for your time,
    Jasper

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

You've said where you want to backup from, but not where you are backing up to. If you're backing up to storage attached to a PC then you could setup a scheduled task on that PC (assuming that PC has access to all the files you want).

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!