What's new

Quick thoughts on Chinese RT-AC86U Vs. RT-AC5300 Review with Pictures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASadani

I recently purchased a great deal on joybuy for the AC86U and picked one up just to see what is going on with the heavily discounted version. Here are my findings.

Router Starts off in Chinese but that can be easily mitigated by using the google live translate app on the phone to see what is going on.

Once set up you can easily change the language and set up the trusty Merlin.

Configuration and setup is a breeze and the router is fast.

VPN Speeds has gone up from 84mbps to 92mbps with my VPN provider

The Range is slightly week when compared to the AC5300 but I also picked up this router for 1/3rd the price of the 5300

When I do a cold reboot for the whole setup, the Router is up faster than the Fiber Box, so I see errors on screen.

When performing speedtest the CPU hits max in one cpu (as expected) to about 54% where as on the AC5300 the CPU hits about 85%. Since I have a 100 mbps connection, either router would suffice in my case.

The UI Is snappier with the 86U.

Final thoughts, If I had to pick one, I would buy the 86u if the household is ok for a normal range. If Range is your priority, then I would go with the 5300.

I am still in the initial test phase and will update this thread after a few weeks of tests.

Some Pictures

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hSdgmYVJ-zidKVYN2syOivM8D7oPYgk5?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I'm trying to buy the same router Chinese version my questions is can you switch language with out using Google translater and set it up using plain English language thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

I'm trying to buy the same router Chinese version my questions is can you switch language with out using Google translater and set it up using plain English language thanks

Honestly, the hype of the language change is much higher than it is to change the language. When you start you will see a Chinese screen. All you have to do is hit the highlighted blue button (if you don't want to use the translator). Next screen is ISP username and password. Put anything there. the final screen is to put in your wifi name and hit the blue button.

You will then be presented with the main screen where you can change the language. I used google translate for the first time, but at one point I forgot the password for the admin page (can you believe that) and did a clear reset with the WPS button. At that time I didn't use the translator as I knew what is going on.

Get it; Its cheap and works well. The only downside is that if anything goes wrong, you are out of luck. In my case, I can buy at least 2 routers at a minimum to break even. So if it goes bad I can buy it again. :)

I just got it because it was cheap. My AC5300 was working perfectly fine.

THANK you for your reply and the info sorry for asking too much were you bough it can you post the links or website please thanks appreciated

THANK you for your reply and the info sorry for asking too much were you bough it can you post the links or website please thanks appreciated

No Problem, we are here to help. I got it from here for $121.99
https://www.joybuy.com/product/ASUS...-Smart-Wireless-Gigabit-Router_600008572.html

It's always on a flash deal. There are rare times when they hike up the price for some time, so wait for the 121 price point. At the moment the low price will start in about 10 hours.

Just note. Expect about 4 weeks at least to receive your product. They send it via regular post.

Alright thanks my friend for the info I appreciate my old RT-N66U Merlin drop the support for the router still working good but no more firmware security update I'm going to get this Chinese version and install Merlin firmware thank you again

Languages are limited to chinese and english since last firmware only!
All previous 21140 had all language support on main page and even on first initial setup page you could change language as very first step with version 3.0.0.4.382.15098.

I recently purchased a great deal on joybuy for the AC86U and picked one up just to see what is going on with the heavily discounted version. Here are my findings.

Router Starts off in Chinese but that can be easily mitigated by using the google live translate app on the phone to see what is going on.

Once set up you can easily change the language and set up the trusty Merlin.

Configuration and setup is a breeze and the router is fast.

VPN Speeds has gone up from 84mbps to 92mbps with my VPN provider

The Range is slightly week when compared to the AC5300 but I also picked up this router for 1/3rd the price of the 5300

When I do a cold reboot for the whole setup, the Router is up faster than the Fiber Box, so I see errors on screen.

When performing speedtest the CPU hits max in one cpu (as expected) to about 54% where as on the AC5300 the CPU hits about 85%. Since I have a 100 mbps connection, either router would suffice in my case.

The UI Is snappier with the 86U.

Final thoughts, If I had to pick one, I would buy the 86u if the household is ok for a normal range. If Range is your priority, then I would go with the 5300.

I am still in the initial test phase and will update this thread after a few weeks of tests.

Some Pictures

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hSdgmYVJ-zidKVYN2syOivM8D7oPYgk5?usp=sharing

So even though you've changed language to English, regional settings are still locked to Chinese correct? What channels do you have available and what is Tx Power. US has strongest Tx Power correct?

So even though you've changed language to English, regional settings are still locked to Chinese correct? What channels do you have available and what is Tx Power. US has strongest Tx Power correct?

I can confirm the channels I have once I get home. I believe the Chinese routers can change the region. however, in practical usage, I have not notified any significant drop in power when compared to the AC5300 but I feel the drop exists.

Can someone point me to the place where I can change the region?

I can confirm the channels I have once I get home. I believe the Chinese routers can change the region. however, in practical usage, I have not notified any significant drop in power when compared to the AC5300 but I feel the drop exists.

Can someone point me to the place where I can change the region?

I don't think it's configurable or hackable anymore. Someone else with more knowledge can comment. Also, in my own personal testing in my home, I found the 86u to be slightly longer in range than the 5300; I tested against a GT5300 not rt5300 as you have.

what is it that makes it chinese? arent they all made in china :p ?
the differences are in cfe-bootloader, it defines the region where it should be sold, available channels/power and languages.
Chinese versions are open to change wifi-region post #23: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/region-change-on-ac86u.47596/page-2#post-422454

Can you point where I can change the region and I presume I should pick US if applicable?

the differences are in cfe-bootloader, it defines the region where it should be sold, available channels/power and languages.
Chinese versions are open to change wifi-region post #23: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/region-change-on-ac86u.47596/page-2#post-422454
i know they have unlocked bootloader, but also they cost far less in china. Hence my question was what really is the difference as they're the same hardware and firmware, only one is locked and costs loads more.

i know they have unlocked bootloader, but also they cost far less in china. Hence my question was what really is the difference as they're the same hardware and firmware, only one is locked and costs loads more.
why unlocked?
86U got a locked bootloader with fixed territory_code and encrypted firmware, there is nothing you could change!
Only chinese version allows to change wifi-region and all others wont.
There are NO other hardware difference except special bootloader settings for territory_code and wifi-region ...

Everywhere else you have resellers who must earn money, you got taxes to be payed and warrenty with additional costs too.
And most valuable reason with region locking they are able to make completely different prices around the world to get most benefit, Australia usually will mostly be on top and Asia/US cheapest.

Last edited:
why unlocked?
86U got a locked bootloader with fixed territory_code and encrypted firmware, there is nothing you could change!
Only chinese version allows to change wifi-region and all others wont.
There are NO other hardware difference except special bootloader settings for territory_code and wifi-region ...

Everywhere else you have resellers who must earn money, you got taxes to be payed and warrenty with additional costs too.
And most valuable reason with region locking they are able to make completely different prices around the world to get most benefit, Australia usually will mostly be on top and Asia/US cheapest.
yeah i meant being able to change the region*. Not to mention the huge costs difference, sure retailers need to earn money, but same goes for the retailers in china yes? Dont they pay taxes too? An export from china is not taxed, so it is taxed on the import and sure some regions have higher taxes, but its not that much higher.

Let me give you an example, the factory is in china, it gets sent to the retailer, and the retailers pay the transport costs, pay asus, add their own overheads and profits along with taxes ontop of it.
Now a retailer in the EU does thet same, factory is in china, it gets sent to the retailer (both land and sea in bulk to save costs), pay asus for the router, add their own overheads, profits and taxes. So why should the same router in the EU especially one that is locked (this is done automatically via a machine, worker just selects firmware and clicks flash so no extra cost here) cost more than double? Remember that for a business, income taxes are not a consideration because your profit is calculated after you pay salaries and dividends. Most of the time, the retailers in these countries where it costs a lot more are trying to rip you off, pretty much like the state of the cost of used cars in the US where all these organisations that give a value to a used car are owned by used car dealerships.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!