What's new

Quickest/bet fix for asus asd bug fix

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neednetworking

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have an asus firewall that is still needing daily reboots and is buggy with the asd issue from last week. I don't want to backup the config, factory reset, and reload the config (cons eg: requires travel, might loose ssl vpn cert's). What is the latest on how to fix this easily and remotely from a pc on the lan?

1. Is the putty/ssh login to delete the file still the best option? Any risk doing this will mess up future asd updates? What are the proper instructions for doing this? I saw a post from last week on how to do it when the problem was still new.. so wasn't sure if those instructions are the latest / best / won't cause problems down the road. Also some people reported the file was missing when they went to delete it. So looking for latest advice on this.

2. I know updating firmware will clear this out as well. But unfortunately, the firewall is already on the latest firmware. Is it possible to, and would it work, to reflash the asus with the SAME firmware already on it? Maybe download the firmware and apply it thru the gui? Anyone try this? Did it work? What steps did you do?

edit... the firewall is operable for several hours before it degrades, so I at least have that going for me, so I do have enough time to doing repair operations.

Hi, I have an asus firewall that is still needing daily reboots and is buggy with the asd issue from last week. I don't want to backup the config, factory reset, and reload the config (cons eg: requires travel, might loose ssl vpn cert's). What is the latest on how to fix this easily and remotely from a pc on the lan?

1. Is the putty/ssh login to delete the file still the best option? Any risk doing this will mess up future asd updates? What are the proper instructions for doing this? I saw a post from last week on how to do it when the problem was still new.. so wasn't sure if those instructions are the latest / best / won't cause problems down the road. Also some people reported the file was missing when they went to delete it. So looking for latest advice on this.

2. I know updating firmware will clear this out as well. But unfortunately, the firewall is already on the latest firmware. Is it possible to, and would it work, to reflash the asus with the SAME firmware already on it? Maybe download the firmware and apply it thru the gui? Anyone try this? Did it work? What steps did you do?
You can just ssh it. Ssh to router, then remove everything on asd folder on /jffs . Reboot. It should rebuild everything at boot and it should be the fixed version. No it won't mess up future asd updates since it is basically the same thing as when you reset the router or format the jffs.

Edit :
Remember. Just remove the /jffs/asd folder .

Have you tried rebooting the router (may need to do it more than once, via the GUI).

Have you tried rebooting the router (may need to do it more than once, via the GUI).

Sadly it didn't work for my family's Asus router. I did the remove asd folder and reboot to fix it.

You can just ssh it. Ssh to router, then remove everything on asd folder on /jffs . Reboot. It should rebuild everything at boot and it should be the fixed version. No it won't mess up future asd updates since it is basically the same thing as when you reset the router or format the jffs.

Edit :
Remember. Just remove the /jffs/asd folder .
Just do this and if it's the asd bug that you're currently experiencing. It will be fixed after removing /jffs/asd folder and rebooting.

Will do. Just do NOT know exactly how to do that. Not super familiar with those commands. :)
So i assume you only need the commands right? Then you should be able to do this

rm -rf /jffs/asd

After that you can just exit out and click reboot on WebGUI. It should reboot and everything should be fine. Monitor it and if your problem was because of the asd bug, this should fix it AFAIK since it should redownload the new fixed asd signature files at reboot :)

FYI: you can use " ls /jffs/ " to see before and after you do the rm command to see if it actually removed the folder :)

Yes. Delete the offending file and reboot the router.

Code:
rm /jffs/asd/chknvram20230516

You can delete the entire /jffs/asd directory if you want to, but it's that specific file that's the problem.
I saw that on some it's a different file (different name) but yeah safest way is probably to remove the whole asd folder since rebooting will redownload everything anyways :)

thanks so much, will give it a try this weekend or early next week!

Reset using the WPS button will do it too as that formats JFFS. However obviously you need to re-enter all your settings after that.

Reset using the WPS button

Not an option on a remote router. You can't get back to it.

The issue I had with few routers was unrecoverable condition - Qualcomm routers with 64MB RAM locking up really fast. No matter how many times they were rebooted there wasn't enough time for them to self-update over Internet. The only solution was removal of the file and done fast. For owners who know nothing Asus actually killed their routers. I was surprised to see ASD running on 382 firmware.

Last edited:
Not an option on a remote router. You can't get back to it.

The issue I had with few routers was unrecoverable condition - Qualcomm routers with 64MB RAM locking up really fast. No matter how many times they were rebooted there wasn't enough time for them to self-update over Internet. The only solution was removal of the file and done fast. For owners who know nothing Asus actually killed their routers. I was surprised to see ASD running on 382 firmware.

Didn't notice the "requires travel" part. But TeamViewer is your friend assuming you can walk someone on site through the basic config to get back up and running which if hardwired, isn't much.

isn't much

It depends. I had to mail one pre-configured router and other four were wall attached APs with no easy access. Once reset someone had to connect over Wi-Fi to each one and reconfigure. They are hardwired, but on the WAN port. Luckily we managed to fix them without resetting.