What's new

R6300 AP roaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whsbuss

Today I decided to take the old R6300v1 out of the closet and connect it downstairs as an AP ethernet connected back to my switch. My main AP is the RT-AC68R (connected to my FiOS actiontec which is the primary router).

So using Merlin's 580.59 FW I set the min RSSI to -70 which works great. When I'm downstairs in the family room the RSSI floats between -69 and -71 so it disconnect my devices. Then it reconnects instantly to the R6300 AP in the same room. 5G and 2.4G has different channels with enough spacing to reduce interference.

However when I go back upstairs my devices stay connected to the R6300 even though the RSSI sits at -72. Is there anyway to implement an RSSI or something similar in the R6300 to drop the lower connection?

Unfortunately Tomato only does R6300v2 and mine is a ver.1 - not sure they support roaming anyway.

I have loaded, and was running this version (tomato-Netgear-R6300V1_RT-AC6x--132-AIO-64K) on a v1 6300. Didn't play with the wireless, as I used the router for a DHCP Server. My 6300 is now powered off, so I can't check the wifi settings..

What are your SSID's between the different AP's - if they're different, the client is going to definitely camp until the 1st SSID is lost...

Common SSID is something to consider with a multiple AP approach...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!