What's new

R7000 appearance is functional

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RogerSC

Part of the Furniture
Just wanted to mention that while much has been made of the angular appearance of the Netgear R7000, I find it pleasing to my eye (or maybe I'm used to it *smile*). The main benefit from having the sides angled is that hot air can flow through and out the "wings" without having vents on the top. The bottom is all vented so it is set for flow through ventilation with air in the bottom and air out the sides.

This is the first router that I've had that can stay pretty cool laying down. I've always had routers standing up, which promotes cooling. This one doesn't need that, first one.

I remember having to prop up my Linksys E4200 so that it could run acceptably cool. Some people ran it upside down so that the vents on the bottom were on the top *smile*, and some people put it on stilts so that air could flow underneath where the vents were. Never did understand how Linksys thought the cooling would work on that one, vents only on the bottom, and it wasn't made to be vertical.

What is the load on your router?
does it stay cool under sustained heavy load? (like heavy downloads, big file transfers within the network, torrents (you can use legit torrents for Ubuntu for example), multiple wireless and wired clients)

@RogerSC, I did notice in some pictures of it how the sides and back are a stylized perforated plastic (or "advanced polymer" as Apple might call it :) ), but the total sq in that are devoted to venting (and the net "open area" that the venting provides) was a really nice functional design approach.

Just wanted to mention that while much has been made of the angular appearance of the Netgear R7000, I find it pleasing to my eye (or maybe I'm used to it *smile*). The main benefit from having the sides angled is that hot air can flow through and out the "wings" without having vents on the top. The bottom is all vented so it is set for flow through ventilation with air in the bottom and air out the sides.
Thanks for emphasizing this. I pointed it out in the review, but the photo of the heatsink is pretty dark...

Hi,
I think ASUS did that on their ROG laptops case design(?) This laptop
always runs cool to touch.