What's new

R7000 new firmware with data collecting feature!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Killhippie

It seems the last update for the R7000 has added a new feature for collecting analytic data. This is described below.

"Such data may include information regarding the router’s running status, number of devices connected to the router, types of connections, LAN/WAN status, WiFi bands and channels, IP address, MAC address, serial number, and similar technical data about the use and functioning of the router, as well as its WiFi network.”

It can be turned off in Advanced > Administration > Router Update > Disable router analytics.

I take it this is in version 1.0.7.12 for the R7000? I have yet to update my mothers R7000 hence my interest in this feature or privacy concern depending how you look at it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/21/netgear_updates_router_with_phone_home_feature/

Last edited:
Funny how NETGEAR spends their time on this rather than fixing the bugs and outdated code in their routers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

original
I believe it's the new 1.08.34 firmware and the only changes mentioned are the option to enable auto update and diagnostic collection as mentioned above.

Last edited:
original
I believe it's the new 1.08.34 firmware and the only changes mentioned are the option to enable auto update and diagnostic collection as mentioned above.

Where do you find this firmware version? It's not listed on the Support-Downloads page for the R7000.

Thanks,
Anton

Not everyone is seeing it yet, I think it will they will accelerate deployment soon, but I believe the diagnostics and auto update features are "opt in" and not automatically enabled.

So with auto update Netgear are saying now there is no need to reset you router after it updates? That's a mixed message after saying at times to do a reset. I imagine this will creep along to the R7800 as well at some point.

Some updates may require a full reset so I don't know how they'd go about that, maybe a UI warning on some of those major updates that settings will be lost and not to use a saved config file.

Some updates may require a full reset so I don't know how they'd go about that, maybe a UI warning on some of those major updates that settings will be lost and not to use a saved config file.
I have to say I can see the auto update thing going horribly wrong for some, the R7000 always when I had one (which I passed on) seemed happier after a reset when updating, also if it uses TR-069 considering how old some of Netgears code is I would not want to risk it. I would leave it disabled just to hopefully block another possible vector of attack if that setting helped by being turned off. Of course I don't know if that's how they are going to do the auto update or if they will implement this on other routers, but my trust in Netgears security is somewhat lacking.

Updated my router to the 1.08.34 firmware last night. Tons of traffic statistics now available from the Genie IOS/Android Network Map panel. Yay!!!

Last edited:
Screenshot_20170523-185730.png
Interesting. Looks like some DPI-like statistics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
This screenshot from my Android tablet'so Genie of my iPhone while it is playing a YouTube video.

I can see the NSA peering out at me from under my bed right now! I'm reverting back to 1.0.7.12. Oh wait....

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!