What's new

r7000 vs ac68u component quality/build quality

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apollo18

Occasional Visitor
move if needed

i’ll be purchasing another r7000 or ac68u and running asuswrt merlin on whatever one i get. i posted it in this forum because you guys seem to be experts with asus and even r7000 but move if needed

all i am asking is which router has better component quality? basically which one would theoretically last longer? or is there no certain way to tell. maybe one uses better quality components.

i want to get that router since these two are pretty equal in performance categories!

You missed the sticky post about the illegality of using Merlin’s firmware on a non-Asus router.

“Asuswrt-Merlin contains numerous proprietary components that are only licensed for legal use on original Asus devices. These include (but are not limited to) components from Asus themselves, Broadcom, Trend Micro and Tuxera. Using any of these components on devices for which they haven't been licensed for is ILLEGAL.

The Asuswrt-Merlin developers will take no responsibility for license violation made by third party or end-users running that software on a non-approved Asus device. Any discussion on these forums about such illegal forks will be deleted.”

Get the RT-AC68U. It won’t let you down. And you’ll get support from this forum. And if you’re in the US, UK or Canada and intend buying through Amazon, use the link on this page.

Last edited:
At a side by side comparison, they are basically identical hardware wise.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u

What really setts them apart, is their respective firmware. If you favor Asuswrt, you should go with the rt-ac68x (x = u, p or w). If you on the other hand favor the Netgear designed firmware, you should go with the r7000.

If you on the other hand plan to use a 3rd party firmware, like dd-wrt or Tomato, then the answer isn't that clear cut.

If the device have to hang on a wall, I'd go with the r7000.
If you want a less obtrusive device, you could go with the rt-ac68w (white). If you got white walls and put it on top of a bookshelf. Well you get the picture...

At a side by side comparison, they are basically identical hardware wise.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asus-rt-ac68u

What really setts them apart, is their respective firmware. If you favor Asuswrt, you should go with the rt-ac68x (x = u, p or w). If you on the other hand favor the Netgear designed firmware, you should go with the r7000.

If you on the other hand plan to use a 3rd party firmware, like dd-wrt or Tomato, then the answer isn't that clear cut.

If the device have to hang on a wall, I'd go with the r7000.
If you want a less obtrusive device, you could go with the rt-ac68w (white). If you got white walls and put it on top of a bookshelf. Well you get the picture...
A white router must look really strange ;). And, with it being at the heart of the home network, I want it to stand out, not blend in, despite the wife’s objections. I also like those pretty blue LEDs (on the RT-AC68U) being prominently on show too, More interesting looking at them than at the rubbish on the tv screen just above it.

Or maybe you have spare an RT-AC68U somewhere or from a friend to test you can change your Netgear for it and ask again, what you run at the end after you found your setup is up to you ... ;)

BTW I had 2 white 68U as they look much nicer and elegante for me (and us) in stealth-mode, dont need everywhere a blackbox!

Last edited:
I have the r6900 and the rt ac 68 u
Both internal same firmware
I prefer the r6900
I modded the r6900 with a extra missing USB port on the back so it is now practically r7000
Has diversion ,atmt,dns all set up stable and great

Update now ordered a 2nd r6900 from eBay for 30$ which is much cheaper then the ac 68u
Plan for a aimesh setup

Guess where this topic’s heading:

“The Asuswrt-Merlin developers will take no responsibility for license violation made by third party or end-users running that software on a non-approved Asus device. Any discussion on these forums about such illegal forks will be deleted.”

;)