What's new

R7000 wireless just disabled itself randomly?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mike406

Occasional Visitor
I woke up today to find all my wireless devices unable to connect. Everything hardwired was fine, so I logged into my R7000 and found a red X next to 2.4 and 5 GHz. Checking into the Wireless Settings under the advanced tab I see this. So I go and press the physical Wifi button on the unit for about 2 seconds and it re-enables. What??? Why did this even happen? The "Turn off Wireless by schedule" garbage is completely off so this shouldn't have happened. More and more of these weird issues are happening with Netgear products I've owned over the years and I'm starting to look into an Asus unit because this is ridiculous.

I've been running an R7000 for since Feb. 2016 without anything remotely like this happening.

I expect someone in your household (or someone who came into your house int he middle of the night) disabled wireless via the router wireless button(s).

Deal with it.
Anton

I've been running an R7000 for since Feb. 2016 without anything remotely like this happening.

I expect someone in your household (or someone who came into your house int he middle of the night) disabled wireless via the router wireless button(s).

Deal with it.
Anton

Deal with it? What crawled up your butt? Nobody in my house turned it off, let alone knows how to.

Deal with it? What crawled up your butt? Nobody in my house turned it off, let alone knows how to.

Sorry. Three IPAs crawled up my butt, but I'm over it.

Good luck,
Anton

I had a R7000 for a few years now a R7800. This also never happened to me, I'm not saying it couldn't but tbh just because someone does not know how to turn it off by pressing a button on your router does not mean they didn't press a button on your router. That's the most obvious answer, someone accidentally hitting the disable Wi-Fi button on top of your r7000

I had a R7000 for a few years now a R7800. This also never happened to me, I'm not saying it couldn't but tbh just because someone does not know how to turn it off by pressing a button on your router does not mean they didn't press a button on your router. That's the most obvious answer, someone accidentally hitting the disable Wi-Fi button on top of your r7000
Alright let me explain since people want to claim they know more about the house than I do. My father lives here and is 67 years old, and my mother knows literally nothing about technology. The router sits in an isolated room that nobody lives or sleeps in. I am 100% positive nobody touched it. Let's put that to rest, thanks. There is no conspiracy here, no boogeyman came in and pressed the router. I came here to post about my experience, not to have now two separate people claim they know more about a place I've lived for 23 years than myself. Technology DOES have flaws, not everything is user error.

Alright let me explain since people want to claim they know more about the house than I do. My father lives here and is 67 years old, and my mother knows literally nothing about technology. The router sits in an isolated room that nobody lives or sleeps in. I am 100% positive nobody touched it. Let's put that to rest, thanks. There is no conspiracy here, no boogeyman came in and pressed the router. I came here to post about my experience, not to have now two separate people claim they know more about a place I've lived for 23 years than myself. Technology DOES have flaws, not everything is user error.
With replies like this you wont get far tbh. That was the most obvious reason, if you had stated this was not possible in your first post then we would have not asked! So have you tried re-downloading the latest firmware and doing a hard reset after updating using the small hole in the back of the router and then reconfiguring it manually (don't use a backup config)

With replies like this you wont get far tbh. That was the most obvious reason, if you had stated this was not possible in your first post then we would have not asked! So have you tried re-downloading the latest firmware and doing a hard reset after updating using the small hole in the back of the router and then reconfiguring it manually (don't use a backup config)

I’ve reset it a lot over the months of owning it, for a number of things like the GUI becoming inaccessible over time to disconnections. It is on the latest firmware which I had updated to last week. I’m not looking to start an argument, but I already explained to the previous poster that it wasn’t by anyone in the house. If I had any inkling of someone messing with it I wouldn’t have posted about it. I know that nobody here has the answer to it, the reason why I wanted to post about it was more to just share my experience rather than get an answer to why. I don’t think anyone could know why.

I’ve reset it a lot over the months of owning it, for a number of things like the GUI becoming inaccessible over time to disconnections. It is on the latest firmware which I had updated to last week. I’m not looking to start an argument, but I already explained to the previous poster that it wasn’t by anyone in the house. If I had any inkling of someone messing with it I wouldn’t have posted about it. I know that nobody here has the answer to it, the reason why I wanted to post about it was more to just share my experience rather than get an answer to why. I don’t think anyone could know why.
I have to say I never had issues like that with my old R7000. Asus routers have there pros and cons, Some have hard hardware issues like radios failing on the RT-AC88U once again not all but some its the nature or bad batches and the fact they all have limited life spans. How old is your R7000?

Is it possible that someone else has access to the router though one of the many security issues that been patched? Have you changed passwords on both SSID's? And the router log in password as well. It may be worth looking in the logs when you know the radios were turned off to see if there is any activity worth posting. When you turn the wifi back on how long does it stay on? I'm guessing Its probably a hardware fault but honestly no router comes without issues.

The R7000 and R7800 are both very well built and I don't remember seeing this problem pop up you generally loose one radio completely or intermittently, not have them both turned off, although it may well have been reported as I don't spend all my time of the Netgear forums. A search there may help. Normally its either corrupt firmware installs or hardware failures alas.

Last edited:
I have to say I never had issues like that with my old R7000. Asus routers have there pros and cons, Some have hard hardware issues like radios failing on the RT-AC88U once again not all but some its the nature or bad batches and the fact they all have limited life spans. How old is your R7000?

Is it possible that someone else has access to the router though one of the many security issues that been patched? Have you changed passwords on both SSID's? And the router log in password as well. It may be worth looking in the logs when you know the radios were turned off to see if there is any activity worth posting. When you turn the wifi back on how long does it stay on? I'm guessing Its probably a hardware fault but honestly no router comes without issues.

The R7000 and R7800 are both very well built and I don't remember seeing this problem pop up you generally loose one radio completely or intermittently, not have them both turned off, although it may well have been reported as I don't spend all my time of the Netgear forums. A search there may help. Normally its either corrupt firmware installs or hardware failures alas.

It's not old at all really, maybe 6 months I'd say. I could look into an RMA, I have a spare R6400 I could use in the meantime. And yes, all passwords are changed from their defaults, and the logs didn't indicate anything was changed. In my experience I've found the logs to be far from comprehensive, they don't seem to log when settings get modified, such a basic thing that should happen. I tested it myself - I turned the wireless radios off then on, the logs didn't seem to care to tell me.

Last edited:
It's not old at all really, maybe 6 months I'd say. I could look into an RMA, I have a spare R6400 I could use in the meantime. And yes, all passwords are changed from their defaults, and the logs didn't indicate anything was changed. In my experience I've found the logs to be far from comprehensive, they don't seem to log when settings get modified, such a basic thing that should happen. I tested it myself - I turned the wireless radios off then on, the logs didn't seem to care to tell me.

Before RMA'ing it, you might see if it happens again while continuing to research this...I've used the R7000 for several years, and am using an R7800 now, and nothing of this sort has ever happened. I'm wondering if a power glitch might have caused this, shouldn't have but who knows...I have my router and cable modem on a UPS for this very reason, to isolate them from power glitches. And keep them from going down in a casual power brownout.

By the way, I've had a lot more trouble with Asus routers over the years than Netgear routers.

Just a thought.