What's new

R7000 - xvortex 380.64 - Repeater Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rosewood

New Around Here
Hello,

I've just joined the forum.

I'm using R7000 xvortex 380.64 in repeater mode.

When I have the 2.4 GHz radio configured to connect to the parent AP, clients can successfully connect to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz repeater SSIDs and gain Internet connectivity.

But when I have the 5 GHz radio configured to connect to the parent AP, I experience a number of problems:

1) Although the R7000 xvortex 380.64 reports that it is connected to the parent AP, it fails to obtain an IP address from the parent AP.

2) While wireless clients can successfully connect to the 2.4 GHz repeater SSID, they cannot access the Internet (because the backhaul router to router connection has not been established).

3) Wireless clients fail to connect to the 5 GHz repeater SSID.

4) Wired clients connect to the R7000 xvortex 380.64 but Internet connectivity is not possible since the backhaul router to router connection is not present.

When the R7000 xvortex 380.64 is in AP mode wireless clients can successfully connect to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz AP SSIDs.

I have tried various 5 GHz channels ensuring they match on the R7000 xvortex 380.64 and parent AP but it makes no difference.

The other point is that wireless clients can successfully connect to the parent 5 GHz SSID.

I have tried previous versions R7000 xvortex 380.63.2 and R7000 xvortex 380.62.1 too but the problem remains that in repeater mode the 5 GHz refuses to connect to the parent AP.

I forgot to say that the security was set to WPA2 although the problem remains if I disable security too. Another point is that I have just used another parent AP and I have the same problems.

All ideas to help resolve this problem are most welcome.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Contact XVortex directly - AsusWRT on R7000 is a pirate build...

Thank you for the reply.

I was under the impression that it was a port of asuswrt-merlin and I believed that I was posting in the correct forum.

I will try to find the correct forum.

Have a good day.

Hi,

I am trying to setup a similar configuration with repeater mode. I can connect to the parent AP with out any problem both 2.4 and 5G, but the wireless clients receive wrong ip and subnetmask and no DNS. On my laptop I can adjust the settings to correct the IP etc, but not on my phone (W10M). Does anybody why my clients receives the wrong ip configs? Probably I can run static DHCP of the MACs but this will be less optimal.

asust merlin wrt: 380.63_2

Thank you for your help.

Hi,

I am trying to setup a similar configuration with repeater mode. I can connect to the parent AP with out any problem both 2.4 and 5G, but the wireless clients receive wrong ip and subnetmask and no DNS. On my laptop I can adjust the settings to correct the IP etc, but not on my phone (W10M). Does anybody why my clients receives the wrong ip configs? Probably I can run static DHCP of the MACs but this will be less optimal.

asust merlin wrt: 380.63_2

Thank you for your help.
Why use "Repeater" it is not as efficient. Use "Bridge". Make sure you SSID's match main router's SSID.

Didn't have much luck myself in using an R7000 with xvortex in repeater mode, not stable enough. And yes, not efficient, either. Media bridge mode, on the other hand is not wireless on the far end, only wired. If you need wireless at the bridge end, you'll need another AP there.

I ended up with an Orbi, that has been a great solution for extending wireless. More expensive though, as opposed to re-purposing an R7000 that you already have around.