What's new

R7800 Aerial postion.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Killhippie

Ok bit of a silly question, on the R7800 I have, and others I have seen the rear two aerials lean forward at an angle as the connection to the router is not horizontal, so are the two side aerials meant to lean forward to match this angle, or are they meant to be vertical? Or does it make no difference whatsoever? Just wondered. Ok I'll go hide now ;)

The user manual says to have all the antennas parallel and vertical, assuming the router is horizontal. So that's where I'd start *smile*:

We recommend that you position all of the antennas vertically, as shown.

The installation guide also shows the antennas positioned vertically.

The user manual says to have all the antennas parallel and vertical, assuming the router is horizontal. So that's where I'd start *smile*:

Easy to experiment running something like inSSIDer. Router not TOO close to the wall. Typically vertical antennas are vertically polarized. When you tilt it will start partially horizontally polarized. When two antennas are in same polarization that is very good. Radio wave has E, M component which are 90 apart. If E plane is parallel to Y-axis vs. parallel to X-axis. Most cases the guide from user manual is right.

While I agree the image in the manual shows the back connectors being horizontal (screw on barrels) they are not in real life, they are elevated up because of the way the board and connectors are made, when having iOS issues i tried three and they all did this. So the rear aerials tilt forward, guessing the side two should be actually upright and probably doubting a few degrees will make that much difference tbh. Having OCD I don't want to start the nightmare of tilting them forward and getting stuck trying to get the angles all the same. Thanks :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!