What's new

R7800 and HT160 Setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AntonK

Very Senior Member
Hi,

Every search turns up some variation of the following when people ask about the HT160 setting in Netgear routers that support it, "...wireless clients must also support HT160."

So, what common wireless clients typically support HT160? iPhone 6, 7, 8, X, IOS 11? How about Android versions? Amazon Echo?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Anton

HT160, like MU-MIMO - it's part of the Wave 2 spec promoted by WiFi Alliance and others...

Most of the significant improvements in 802.11ac were found in Wave 1... The rest is just picking up nickels in the parking lot - e.g. not much benefit beyond Wave 1 and they're incremental improvements at best.

Most clients these days - HT80/SU-MIMO and 2-radio at that...

They should at least push for HT160 support on smartphones. If they are going to only give 1 or 2 streams, at least use a wider channel width.

They should at least push for HT160 support on smartphones. If they are going to only give 1 or 2 streams, at least use a wider channel width.
HT160 is only going to be possible with DFS support. Otherwise it needs to be 80+80.

Both unnecessarily chew up more channels for questionable benefit.

HT160 is only going to be possible with DFS support. Otherwise it needs to be 80+80.

Both unnecessarily chew up more channels for questionable benefit.

Some older clients may have issues with HT160 and/or HT80+80 - just a heads up - this is based on an ambiguity in the spec discovered a while back and a patch (to the spec) provided by QC-Atheros..

Leave it disabled. While you're at it, shut off MU-MIMO too.
Is there really any major advantage to turning off MU-MIMO if you don't have any MU-MIMO clients on a R7800? I've had it turned on since I got the router which is a long time now, pretty much when it came out.

Is there really any major advantage to turning off MU-MIMO if you don't have any MU-MIMO clients on a R7800? I've had it turned on since I got the router which is a long time now, pretty much when it came out.
Prevents possible compatibility problems due to MU-MIMO beamforming advertisement.

Prevents possible compatibility problems due to MU-MIMO beamforming advertisement.

Should the Beamforming feature be unchecked as well?

Yeah it’s been there for over a week, I considered getting it but $62 is prohibitive. I was gonna get the 9260 and put the 8265 from my Inspiron 7567 in my sisters laptop as the XPS 9350’s Dell1820A adapter (BCM4350) is terrible and unreliable for both Bluetooth/WiFi. Guess I’ll wait a few more weeks lol.

Yeah not a fan of 160Mhz on 5Ghz, yet I have the urge to try it lol.

There might be some confusion for buyers with the 9260's siblings, the 9461/9560 when they release, which are two part solutions with one part integrated on motherboards.

Last edited:
I wonder if it will behave like 40 MHz on the 2.4 GHz band and constantly downgrade to 80 MHz due to interference.

I'm thinking it won't be as bad as 2.4GHz and Wide Channels, mostly due to the limited range relatively speaking...

I'm thinking it won't be as bad as 2.4GHz and Wide Channels, mostly due to the limited range relatively speaking...

Yes, the range will definitely help, also the fact that you're not facing a legion of non-wifi devices sharing the same band. It will still become a problem once the whole world moves to dual band routers (still a lot of single bands out there right now).

Once 30$ routers become dual band, it will start to get crowded.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!