1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[R7800] can I increase the size of /dev/shm ?

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AC Wireless' started by R. Gerrits, Mar 31, 2020.

1. R. Gerrits

R. Gerrits Regular Contributor

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here can quickly answer this: Can I increase the size of the /dev/shm filesystem on a R7800 running Voxel's firmware?

Normally, one could do this in /etc/fstab, but that file doesn't exist.

I did find that /etc/preinit has these lines:
    Code:
    mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /dev -o mode=0755,size=512K
    [ -d /dev/shm ] || mkdir -p /dev/shm
    I did try increasing the size there. But preinit is executed before the overlay (with my changes) is mounted so that has no effect.

Reason why I want it bigger: I'm trying to get Pihole (v5.0 beta) to run directly on my R7800 via Entware.
    I've got almost everything working, except for the issue that after a few hours, /dev/shm is full and then pihole-FTL crashes.

2. R. Gerrits

R. Gerrits Regular Contributor

nevermind, I think I've found a solution.
    As shm is just a folder on the tmpfs /dev, I'll just mount a new and bigger tmpfs on /dev/shm via :
    Code:
    mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /dev/shm -o mode=0755,size=32M