What's new

R7800 - connect remotely using port 8443 with Kamoj add in

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jra505

Occasional Visitor
Hello

I'm using Voxel's latest firmware and Kamoj's latest beta for his add in on my R7800.

I heard that it's possible to access the router remotely via the opening of TCP port 8443 in the Settings section of Kamoj's add-in. I've opened the port, but do not know how to now go about accessing the router. Opening https://myexternalisp:8443 in a browser does not seem to work.

If I enable remote access in the main part of the firmware GUI, then I can access the router fine externally, using the address above, in any browser.

How does Kamoj's method differ from the already built in method?

Sorry if it's a noob question - I'm probably missing something obvious.

jra505

I would NOT leave remote access enabled it's just a major security risk not worth it.

I haven't left it enabled.

I'm just trying to understand why it seems to work OK with the stock method, and I can't get it to work using Kamoj's add in.

Not sure but Kamoj will see your post and likely respond.

Kamoj add-on has no special mode for remote access.
I'm guessing this is causing the confusion, in the settings section:

Open firewall WAN ports
tcp (separate ports with ",") E.g. for Remote management: tcp 8443

But what would be a valid use case for using this option?
I'm assuming that netgear will automatically open 8443, if you enable the remote management, so no point in doing it via the addon.
And other ports I'd just simply open via the standard ip-forwarding menu.
So isn't this part of the addon a bit redundant??

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!