1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

R7800 - connects at 100 Mbps, when ASUS AC68p manages 1 Gbps

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AC Wireless' started by mcb, Jan 12, 2018.

1. mcb

mcb New Around Here

I recently purchased a Netgear R7800, based in part on the impressive performance as tested here. As soon as I connected and configured the router I went to speedtest.net to verify the connect speed. To my surprise, I was seeing 94Mbps up and down, vs the 940Mbps up and down I previously saw. I have Webpass which provides an ethernet connection - I bypassed the router by directly connecting my computer to the ethernet and saw the same slow down. I thought this test implicated the wiring. I was wrong.

A Webpass tech came out and found nothing wrong in the wiring. He told me the router will negotiate a speed based on signal strength (or noise floor). When I bypassed the R7800, I still was using the previously negotiated line speed (100 Mbps).

Sure enough, I go back to my previous router, an ASUS AC68p, and I am back to 1 Gbps.

The tech said there could be a router config option to make the line speed negotiation more noise tolerant, but I couldn't find anything in the Netgear router UI.

Any suggestions for tweaking my R7800 so I can get back to my 1 Gbps connection?

Thanks!

2. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 Regular Contributor

Have you tried a hard reset on the R7800? Otherwise the only reason I can think of is that the WAN port on the R7800 is providing a link rate of 100 Mbps instead of 1 Gbps which suggests a duff port, ie you should get it replaced.

3. RogerSC

RogerSC Part of the Furniture

You might also look at the speed set for the port on the computer...it's buried in the device manager in Windows, if you're using a Windows system. Anyways, you might try setting that directly to 1Gbps. if it isn't already. I'm suggesting that because you seem to be saying that you are only getting the 100Mbps when you bypass the router by connecting your computer directly to the modem. That tells me that something's going wrong in the speed negotiation with your computer, and that it's worth a try to set the computer network port to 1Gbps. I haven't had problems with artificial speed limitation with my R7800. I just get whatever speed's coming in from my modem. Right at the moment, that's about 180Mbps. download.

If you are getting the same 100Mbps when you "bypass the router", as you say, don't know what the router has to do with it, in that case. Sounds like it's most likely on the computer end.

As a long shot, you might also try resetting your modem, it's conceivable that there's something going on there as well.

4. Sizzlechest

Sizzlechest Occasional Visitor

Voxel discovered that the multiple CPUs in the stock formware were not being utilized properly. Speedtests were coming out slower than with much older firmwares. His custom firmware fixes this issue.

rbird2 likes this.
  5. maxbraketorque

maxbraketorque Senior Member

Wow. Amazing oversight by Netgear.