1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

R7800 Custom QoS Levels or manually set bandwidth limit for client?

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AC / AX Wireless' started by SomeoneOnLine, Aug 18, 2018.

1. SomeoneOnLine

SomeoneOnLine New Around Here

Currently i'm running Voxels latest build ( V1.0.2.54SF) which overall seems to work just fine. I know I can set a client device to low,medium,high,highest priority level. But how can I create a custom level so to speak? In other words i'm looking to set a specific KB or MB worth of bandwidth on a particular device on my lan? Even when I set it to low it still is able to utilize a large amount of bandwidth.

Searching around I came across this post
    https://kb.netgear.com/24301/How-do...licy-for-a-MAC-address-on-my-Nighthawk-router

which mentions the ability to setup rules per device but seems as though netgear removed this ability from the R7800. WTF? Is this something that Voxel could add back in? :)

Thanks,

~SOL

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. xBryan

xBryan New Around Here

QoS on these are just priority. Has nothing to do with how much BW can be used, nor could netgear ever control that per device.

If you set the one device low and all others high the others should be able to pull BW back from the low one as needed.
    What you're asking otherwise you might need to look into DDWRT if it can support get setup a different device for firewall and use this as AP only, such as pfsense etc.

SomeoneOnLine likes this.
  4. SomeoneOnLine

SomeoneOnLine New Around Here

Bummer. Thanks for the reply. I used ddwrt for years a few years back then switched to openwrt (I like that its modular) and never looked back (at ddwrt). Yet I still kinda feel better with a somewhat stock experience which is one of the reasons I wanted to try Voxel's build for my recently purchased R7800. Overall I like it. I kinda miss the luci interface though. was never able to get ssh (dropbear) installed. I failed at my first few attempts even when reading the doc. but its ok. don't really need it. just like the cli interface to manage some components on my router. not trying to turn my router into a server role anyways, other than serving me a reliable internet connection.

I did however find some odd device naming issues (which I read voxel does some weird workaround or something). for example in the stock web interface all my devices show the correct name as does the android app (NightHawk) however in the Genie App for android it does not show the correct names. Even when clearing android data and reinstalling the app etc..). Not a major issue or anything just thought I would mention it.

Ohh yeah also I found that, Not sure if this is a voxel issue or a netgear issue but whenever a device is connected via wifi and ethernet it fails to allow me to "disable internet access" the device in the web interface or companion apps. wifi connected devices or ethernet connected devices allow me to disable them just fine. it seems as thought only when both interfaces are connected it fails.

Thanks Voxel for all your hard work.

~SOL

kamoj likes this.
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!