What's new

R7800 Custom QoS Levels or manually set bandwidth limit for client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SomeoneOnLine

New Around Here
Currently i'm running Voxels latest build ( V1.0.2.54SF) which overall seems to work just fine. I know I can set a client device to low,medium,high,highest priority level. But how can I create a custom level so to speak? In other words i'm looking to set a specific KB or MB worth of bandwidth on a particular device on my lan? Even when I set it to low it still is able to utilize a large amount of bandwidth.

Searching around I came across this post
https://kb.netgear.com/24301/How-do...licy-for-a-MAC-address-on-my-Nighthawk-router

which mentions the ability to setup rules per device but seems as though netgear removed this ability from the R7800. WTF? Is this something that Voxel could add back in? :)

Thanks,

~SOL

Last edited:
QoS on these are just priority. Has nothing to do with how much BW can be used, nor could netgear ever control that per device.

If you set the one device low and all others high the others should be able to pull BW back from the low one as needed.
What you're asking otherwise you might need to look into DDWRT if it can support get setup a different device for firewall and use this as AP only, such as pfsense etc.

Bummer. Thanks for the reply. I used ddwrt for years a few years back then switched to openwrt (I like that its modular) and never looked back (at ddwrt). Yet I still kinda feel better with a somewhat stock experience which is one of the reasons I wanted to try Voxel's build for my recently purchased R7800. Overall I like it. I kinda miss the luci interface though. was never able to get ssh (dropbear) installed. I failed at my first few attempts even when reading the doc. but its ok. don't really need it. just like the cli interface to manage some components on my router. not trying to turn my router into a server role anyways, other than serving me a reliable internet connection.

I did however find some odd device naming issues (which I read voxel does some weird workaround or something). for example in the stock web interface all my devices show the correct name as does the android app (NightHawk) however in the Genie App for android it does not show the correct names. Even when clearing android data and reinstalling the app etc..). Not a major issue or anything just thought I would mention it.

Ohh yeah also I found that, Not sure if this is a voxel issue or a netgear issue but whenever a device is connected via wifi and ethernet it fails to allow me to "disable internet access" the device in the web interface or companion apps. wifi connected devices or ethernet connected devices allow me to disable them just fine. it seems as thought only when both interfaces are connected it fails.

Thanks Voxel for all your hard work.

~SOL

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!