What's new

R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.36

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carolus

Occasional Visitor
New Firmware R7800 Netgear

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports the SMBv3 protocol.
  • Updated the Speedtest logo on the QoS Setup page.
Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the issue where remote login using the genie app fails if the R7800 is in AP mode.
  • Fixes security issues.
  • Fixes minor bugs.
Known unfixed issues:

• Intel7260/3160 has a connection problem with the R7800 when the HT160 is enabled. This issue is due to the Intel driver. Intel is looking into this.

Also fixed a bug where the router would fail to the set up process via the routers web GUI when PPPoE was used resulting in a username and/or password is incorrect message.

Nice, thanks for the info. Surprised they updated so fast they take like 2-4 months between updates normally.

Interesting...

Broken link in NETGEAR download page (File not found).

But could be downloaded from here:

ftp://updates1.netgear.com/r7800/ww/R7800-V1.0.2.36.img

Could somebody check: seems problems with large files. I failed to copy file with size more then 2GB. Checked with NTFS and EXT4 file systems. Maybe it is only problem with my router... Or I could not set some options (checkboxes)?

Or it is the same problem as with R9000 beta:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-2-106/td-p/1356180

Voxel.

Nice, thanks for the info. Surprised they updated so fast they take like 2-4 months between updates normally.
@NETGEAR Guy was on the case with the PPPoE issue with them after I noticed the web GUI failed if you let the routers GUI try to set up the router settings, it worked okay if you did it manually. He pinned that down to PPPoE and has been in contact with them over that so maybe they pushed the new fixes out along with that one as quickly as possible in case people got stuck if they ever needed to do a hard reset and were not sure about setting the router up manually.

Same as you, the support download link shows same error, only the ftp link works.

@NETGEAR Guy was on the case with the PPPoE issue with them after I noticed the web GUI failed if you let the routers GUI try to set up the router settings, it worked okay if you did it manually. He pinned that down to PPPoE and has been in contact with them over that so maybe they pushed the new fixes out along with that one as quickly as possible in case people got stuck if they ever needed to do a hard reset and were not sure about setting the router up manually.

Weird I put my CenturyLink modem in transparent bridge mode and the R7800 does PPPoE for me, can you be more specific of the issue maybe Ive been ignorant.

Interesting...

Broken link in NETGEAR download page (File not found).

But could be downloaded from here:

ftp://updates1.netgear.com/r7800/ww/R7800-V1.0.2.36.img

Could somebody check: seems problems with large files. I failed to copy file with size more then 2GB. Checked with NTFS and EXT4 file systems. Maybe it is only problem with my router... Or I could not set some options (checkboxes)?

Or it is the same problem as with R9000 beta:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-Beta-Firmware-1-0-2-106/td-p/1356180

Voxel.

If its the same test SMB package then yeah, same issue, but I will test. Don't know why they would include it in a non-beta firmware.

Weird I put my CenturyLink modem in transparent bridge mode and the R7800 does PPPoE for me, can you be more specific of the issue maybe Ive been ignorant.
This was not in bridge mode for myself, it was in normal router mode. If you hard reset the router and used the Web GUI to set the router up you would get a 'username and/or password is incorrect message all the time as the router was having issues establishing a PPPoE connection. Oddly if you set up manually it worked okay. I was not aware it had happened in AP mode. @NETGEAR Guy did a sanity check and had the same result and passed the info to engineering.

I put the modem not the R7800, in transparent bridge (RFC1483) which is not the same as bridge mode, it basically means router function and PPPoE on ISP modem is disabled and packets are forwarded to upstream router for PPPoE. Anyway that allows me to use PPPoE on the router (R7800) (no mode change on the router), I think you misunderstood. I never had PPPoE connection issues with the R7800 that’s why I said I found it odd.

Last edited:
I put the modem in transparent bridge which is not the same as bridge mode, it basically means router function and PPPoE on ISP modem is disabled and packets are forwarded to upstream router for PPPoE. Anyway that allows me to use PPPoE on the router (R7800) (no mode change on the router), I think you misunderstood. I never had PPPoE connection issues that’s why I find it odd.
I didnt mean PPPoE didnt work or there were issues it worked fine, but using the Genie for initial setup would cause a password and username error constantly with version 1.0.2.32. You had to set up manually which was not the case in previous firmwares. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part about AP mode.

The router worked fine with PPPoE connections as it did with mine, but the GUI option to allow the router to negotiate the settings during initial set up failed after a hard reset, this was because the router was having issues setting up PPPoE via the GUI but was fine if you chose to set up manually. So that was the bug they fixed which was introduced with 1.0.2.32 it was fine in all other versions and the web GUI set up works as it should with 1.0.2.36 once again now. I hope that cleared that up :)

Ah ok, makes sense, as I always use manual setup.

Ah ok, makes sense, as I always use manual setup.
I do normally but I decided to let the router do it for once as I had not used that feature for a long time and it went very weird, so I reported this to @NETGEAR Guy as some people might have issues with setting up the router if they could not use the web GUI 'let Netgear get your settings' option.

Last edited:
Yes, happened to me as well Voxel.

Think netgear made a mistake in releasing this should have been marked beta , same is happening to me. time to roll back

Maybe a max file size ulimit?
Reason of problem is obvious: using somewhere in function 32-bit integer (int) instead of 64-bit (int64). As a result value more than 2GB becomes negative. And function fails. Critical values for 32-bit are 2GB for signed variables and 4GB for unsigned variables. It could be even somewhere in C RTL.

I do not understand why Samba 3.6.25 was not used by Netgear but Samba4. Samba4 is too huge. It was discussed in other thread.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!