What's new

R7800 - Maxiumum Number of Reserved Addresses Reached

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Friction57

New Around Here
I've got the R7800 and I'm running Voxel's firmware, v1.0.2.80.5SF.

I've been doing some network housekeeping and I've been adding reserved address for almost all the things that connect to my network, and it seems that 64 is the maximum.

Is there anyway around this? It seems silly to me that the max number is 64 when you can have an entire octet's worth of addresses in one range...

I don't know. But you can try "by hand" from the router command prompt and see if it works:
E.g.:
Bash:
nvram set reservation65="192.168.1.65 10:20:30:40:50:60 TOMS-LAPTOP"
nvram commit

Try ddwrt or openwrt? Or Get a pi4 with pi hole and use that as your dhcp? I use a pc with pfsense, and it avoids all issues as my routers just act as wifi aps.
I've got the R7800 and I'm running Voxel's firmware, v1.0.2.80.5SF.

I've been doing some network housekeeping and I've been adding reserved address for almost all the things that connect to my network, and it seems that 64 is the maximum.

Is there anyway around this? It seems silly to me that the max number is 64 when you can have an entire octet's worth of addresses in one range...

@kamoj Thanks! I'll give that a shot first.

If that doesn't work I'll give one of the firmwares that @messerchmidt mentioned. I've looked at them before, but I'm not sure which is better/more stable.

And I've got a Pi4 running Pihole... In fact, one of the reasons I'm reserving addresses for all the things on my network is so the Pihole will know what clients are sending DNS requests... I've got the PiHole's hosts table configured to match the address reservations on the R7800, and it works for the most part. I've tried running the Pihole as my DHCP server, but it doesn't report the clients correctly either...

@kamoj Thanks! I'll give that a shot first.

If that doesn't work I'll give one of the firmwares that @messerchmidt mentioned. I've looked at them before, but I'm not sure which is better/more stable.

And I've got a Pi4 running Pihole... In fact, one of the reasons I'm reserving addresses for all the things on my network is so the Pihole will know what clients are sending DNS requests... I've got the PiHole's hosts table configured to match the address reservations on the R7800, and it works for the most part. I've tried running the Pihole as my DHCP server, but it doesn't report the clients correctly either...

I have a pihole, running on a Pi3B+. My R7800 uses Voxels latest firmware and it all works flawlessly together so I can vouch for this method, but I'm not sure what you mean by the pihole didn't report clients correctly - all I can think of is you maybe forgot to turn off the DHCP on the router? Or you had something setup improperly at least. At any rate as I say my setup works flawlessly and I've done very little in the way of customisation to it so it is possible to setup and probably the easiest method of getting a pihole working properly with an R7800 due to how simple it is to setup.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!