What's new

R7800 port forwarding not working when remote pc using wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Philip Stevenson

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I'm having an issue with port forwarding to an emby server or any other server software when the remote pc is using a wifi connection. If the remote pc is connected using a lan cable then port forwarding works.

I have upnp turned off. I have tried setting all remote pc's ip addresses manually and reserved the addresses. I've set the dhcp server to start with higher ip addresses than the manually set ip's. All pc's (remote & port forward) have had the firewalls turned off.

The emby server log shows the remote pc request & the emby server reply but the reply never gets back to the remote wifi connected pc.

Firmware Netgear 1.0.2.38

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Phil

The most likely cause is that you have a different IPs for your Ethernet adapter, your 2.4 Ghz radio and your 5 Ghz radio.

All adaptors where set to the same ip address. I removed all ip forwarding rules/services to determine if required. Wired remote pc's works fine. Wifi remote pc's do not, they appear to be able to connect with the server but the connection is so slow it times out. Why? Is this a common issue with this router? This is definitely a router issue as I used to use a BT Homehub 4 router with no issues.

Interesting. How did you set all three MAC addresses for the three adapters to the same IP? Normally having three devices with the same IP on the same LAN causes problems.

Have you tested upload and download speeds with each of the adapters devices having separate and unique LAN IPs?

Interesting. How did you set all three MAC addresses for the three adapters to the same IP? Normally having three devices with the same IP on the same LAN causes problems.

Have you tested upload and download speeds with each of the adapters devices having separate and unique LAN IPs?
Sorry some confusion. All pc’s are set to individual ip addresses and addresses + Mac addresses reserved in router lan setup. I have only done this due to the issue. Otherwise wifi appears fine can access internet via router no delays. Only when accessing local machine running server software there is an issue.
Thanks for your suggestions and help. It’s driving me nuts, I’ve tried numerous options from google searches none fix it. Plug a lan cable in and it works. Why? I work from home logging into remote servers via a wifi connection to the router with no problem!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!