What's new

R7800 ReadyShare settings change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anddiiss

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Could someone, please, share an opinion regarding my issues with being unable to adjust ReadyShare settings, specifically editing share names, deleting additional network folder setups?
I'm rocking Voxel's 1.0.2.83SF along with Kamoj's latest beta release (currently 5.4b24), by the way, in light of recent events on the forum I'd like to express huge thanks to both of these guys for their hard work since without it would be pretty hard to convince me in buying a R7800 for daily use as a main router.

To dive deeper in my current setup. I have a decent size flash drive labeled OPTWARE and formatted into EXT4 file system which is hooked up and working 24/7 for use with backups and entware. Now I had this issue with not being able to change anything from GUI regarding ReadyShare settings for a while but didn't bother. Now, however, since I've bought a smart printer and wanted to configure a new network path for saving documents on that same flash drive (don't know if I should invest into something else or just create a new folder) it has started to really bother me again.

1. From ReadyShare -> Advanced settings it's not possible to change share name for preinserted config entry with share name - USB_Storage. This one's providing root access to that drive but I'd argue about it since I usually SSH into root or use WinSCP with a certificate.
2. Creating new network setup entries is possible but after saving it becomes impossible to delete it or really change anything about it. Window simply closes and nothing happens.

Screenshot_48.png

From Kamoj's FAQ I've found useful commands that got me rid of the additional shares I've created.

Code:
nvram show | awk -F= '/green_download_path/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^shared_usb_folder/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/usbDeviceName/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram show | awk -F= '/^node[0-9]*/ {print $1}' | xargs -n1 nvram unset
nvram commit
reboot

This however reverts to that main USB_Storage.

For those familiar with this, from where in shell I could modify these settings?

Regards, Andis.

Last edited:
I wonder what is going wrong at your end.
I just tried -> I can add a new network folder. And after that, I also have no issues to edit it, and for instance change the permissions.
Only thing I did notice, I had to refresh the webpage to show the changes.

Perhaps try with a different browser?
Or perhaps you have some folders with "strange" characters in the root of the USB-stick?

iirc, setting it via shell is not really easy. Also see this older post:
smb.conf from /mnt/sda1/overlay isn't copied at boot

It would require preventing that /sbin/hotplug2.mount calls /usr/sbin/update_smb
And then you'd manually need to define the desired /etc/samba/smb.conf
(and to arrange that it is recreated during boot.)

Thanks, R.Gerrits, I'll try with another clean flash drive as well as different file system if the first option doesn't solve it. I can confirm that switching up browsers doesn't solve the issue.
Also, since You were so polite to check out the functionality yourself and confirm that it's indeed working for you, I guess I'll be able to isolate the issue and fix it myself.

Big thanks for the mention of shell, there's a learning curve here, haha, but I'll try and "ride" that horse.

Okay, so I did swap out the flash drives, formatted the new one in EXT2 FS, no luck.
Then I reverted to stock fw from Netgear, no luck.
Decided to due a bit deeper reset by issuing:
Code:
nvram default && nvram commit && mtd erase netgear && reboot
After setting everything back up, still, I cannot seem to remove or edit those default entries.

It looks like these settings are unaffected by typical reset procedure and they seem to be bound to volume name. Swapping out the volume name seems to hide the troublesome entries but since I need one of the volumes to actually read "optware", I'm again having that "USB_Storage" share back into play with no chances of getting of it. :)))

Screenshot_50.png

I guess I'll just give up for now and maybe study the shell approach when I've more time.

then the way to so it via shell:

nvram show |grep shared_usb_folder
then find the entry you want to change
for instance:
shared_usb_folder0=USB_Storage*/*0*0*optware*Kingston DataTraveler 3.0*08606E6B6612B021680F690E*1

and then do :
Code:
nvram set shared_usb_folder0=optware*/*0*0*optware*Kingston\ DataTraveler\ 3.0*08606E6B6612B021680F690E*1
i.e. replace the share name and escape the spaces with a \

then do an nvram commit to save.
And them probably quickest is a reboot, to have the router recreate the shares.

Thank You very much, R. Gerrits, for this suggestion. I did try it out and was able to successfully change Share names for my two shares. Upon further experiments with the trailing number (I figured it would define a mounting point), I changed it from *5 to *1 since I'm also unable to reset back to sda1/sdb1, but this didn't work like it did with share names, Upon checking nvram it contained 4 entries for shared_usb_folder, mine and additionally USB_Storage and T_Drive.

Still better than nothing, so thanks for helping out, sir. I've already started investigating smb.conf and hotplug2.mount in hopes of better understanding the assignation logic.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!