What's new

[R7800] Reserving IP-address not working with RPi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flying Dutchman

Regular Contributor
Hi,
For many years I use a Raspberry Pi with Domoticz. And an Asus router RT-AC68U. In the router, I made a reservation for the IP-address for the RPi (and much more devices I have around) and never ever any problem. I could always access Domoticz on my smartphone and tablet on the reserved address.

Now I have the NetGear R7800 .....
This router gives you also the possibility to reserve IP-addresses. It works for all my devices except the RPi.
The RPi gets 169. something (it is visible in the GUI of NetGear under Attached devices .... ), while my LAN is in the range of 192.168.0.xxx.

I know that I can add a line of text in the RPi software to have it on a reserved IP-address, but I don't like that. I want to have one place where I manage the addresses and all my devices on automatic.

How come that a device gets an address far out of the range???
Asus router did it right, this NetGear one not.
Why?
Is there something I can do to overcome this issue (except for hard-coding the address in the RPi)?

The RPi gets 169. something ...

How come that a device gets an address far out of the range???
It is not getting an address from the router that is "out of range". A client gives itself a 169. address when it has no network connectivity. You need to fix the problem on the RPi.

Thank you for this clarification.

Well, that can be the case, a "no network" situation.
Every evening I switch off a lot of devices, fully automated by Domoticz, among which the R7800.
The Raspberry Pi not, of course, as this smart device is switching on devices when it notices movements or other activities in the house. It is on 24/7.

But this is the case for years and the Asus seemed to have the capability to force the RPi back onto the right address, while the R7800 doesn't. :confused:

I just restarted the RPi the hard way (power off / power on) and than it is on the reserved address. Tomorrow it will be wrong again :(

Well, it looks like I have to nail the RPi to an address internally. Too bad....

It seems that the udhcpc doesn't work well on Rpi. I suggest you to attach a new microSD card flashed with the latest Raspbian to see if the problem remains.

It seems that the udhcpc doesn't work well on Rpi. I suggest you to attach a new microSD card flashed with the latest Raspbian to see if the problem remains.
I understand your suggestion. Therefore I have the firmware on a USB-stick, not on a microSD. This works much more reliable as these SD-cards seems to die very soon. I used the USB-stick already in my Asus time;). Thanks for your reply.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!