What's new

R7800: Speed when accessing NAS via Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thegeezer2020

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a R7800.

I get wifi speeds to the wan of in excess of 500Mbps, but when I access a file on my nas (connected wired), with my computer connected via wifi I get 100mbps max.

If both the NAS and my computer are connected wired I get 500Mbps+, so I wonder if its normal for LAN to WIFI speeds to be so low on this router.

When I access a USB drive directly connected to the router, I get 350Mbps when wired or wifi, as I guess this is the limit of the usb device, but thats that still much more than the 100Mbps I am seeing nas to wifi.

Any ideas?

Is this normal?

Thanks
Mr G

dumb thoughts.

1) are you sure you're getting 100Mbps or 100MBps? 112megaBYTES per second is around the max you'll get on gigabit ethernet. Windows copy command shows speed in bytes.
2) could the NAS be connecting at only 100mbps ethernet? (bad cable?)

100Mbps, as in 10MB/s.

I am sure the NAS is connected at 1Gbps, as when I connect wired to the nas (via the router), I get 100MB/s, as in 1 gigabit.

I just wondered if this is a router limit when file sharing from lan via wifi.

naw I can do wired ethernet routing between my desktop and NAS at 900mbps+ all day long with the R7800.

Okay lemme make sure I understand this.

computer -> wifi -> router -> internet = 500mbps
computer -> wifi -> router -> ethernet -> NAS = 100mbps
computer -> ethernet -> router -> ethernet -> NAS = 1000mbps
computer -> whatever -> router -> USB -> hard drive = 350mbps

what are you using to test speeds? iperf?

Thats correct.

>naw I can do wired ethernet routing between my desktop and NAS at 900mbps+ all day long with the R7800

So can I, but when I use wifi, it falls apart.

I am using a windows file copy, a 10gb file from one to the other. Both computers have SSDs.

@Easy Rhino, what speed do you get when you use wifi on the client?

I fixed it, but I am note sure how.

After a factory reset of the router and a re-install of the wifi drivers on the pc I am now seeing over 100MB/s.

This is how you fixed it. :)

After a factory reset of the router and a re-install of the wifi drivers on the pc

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!