What's new

R7800 Upgrade or Not????

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BostonDan

Regular Contributor
I’m wondering if it’s time to upgrade my Netgear R7800 router as I’ve had it for some time. I’m considering the Netgear RAX80. In my house I can have 4 computers (running FaceTime, Zoom, or something similar.), 4 TV’s streaming, 2 Xbox’s gaming, and a few iPads being browsing. Will upgrading show a noticeable improvement or would I just be wasting money to have a newer device?

Depends.

What are your ISP speeds? Are they limiting you on any one device now?

What are your current network experiences? Are you seeing a decline in network responsiveness when all your devices are connected and in use?

What is your current WiFi coverage? Is any client device and or activity on that device being limited or reduced in any way now?

While the new routers will give better performance than any old model will (no matter how great it was), that doesn't mean you need to jump now.

In the Asus arena, the RT-AC86U was comparable to the R7800 if I remember correctly so far back. Today, the RT-AX68U, RT-AX86U, and GT-AX6000 all surpass it easily. And for me, that is very noticeable and appreciated.

Not so much for just raw download speeds. But for what those higher download speeds infer too; lower latency (and that lower latency is inversely proportional to the increase in download speeds, ime).

For reference, here is what the entry-level RT-AX68U performed vs the past 'king' RT-AC86U.

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

And the RT-AX86U is faster still. And, the most balanced (hardware) Asus router, the GT-AX6000, being about 20% faster throughput too, than the RT-AX86U.

Hope this information helps.

I’m wondering if it’s time to upgrade my Netgear R7800 router as I’ve had it for some time. I’m considering the Netgear RAX80. In my house I can have 4 computers (running FaceTime, Zoom, or something similar.), 4 TV’s streaming, 2 Xbox’s gaming, and a few iPads being browsing. Will upgrading show a noticeable improvement or would I just be wasting money to have a newer device?

Stick with your R7800

seriously...

Upgrading to something now is not going to show much improvement...

No, definitely not the RT-AC68U.

In my quote, I state the RT-AC86U in any event. :)

I never did try an R7800. They were always double the price or more of an RT-AC86U.

I'm not sure. The RT-AX86U was superior to the RT-AX88U I had before it. And I paid less for those than an R7800 was worth (many years after it had debuted).

I believe either of those will be superior to the R7800. More current. More features. Superior throughput and still less than what an R7800 is available for today (I just checked - over $500 USD 'new').

I believe either of those will be superior to the R7800. More current. More features. Superior throughput and still less than what an R7800 is available for today (I just checked - over $500 USD 'new').

R7800 has a second wind with OpenWRT, however, I doubt that's driving prices above 500USD in the current market.

That being said - it's a Wave2 802.11ac router with a robust SDK, and known driver support with ath10k-ct, and a fair amount of reverse engineering on the UBI32 NSS support outside of QSDK...

that's right - UBI32 is the old ubicomm stuff Qualcomm bought years ago - that plus their two Krait processors, the SoC is pretty solid, better than Broadcom at the time, and almost as good as Marvel's Armada 32 bit cores (WRT1900ac).

Just saying, Asus isn't the end-game for anyone - if someone has a good enough solution, let it rest for now - 6 months later, there will be other options out there...

Agreed. For an existing installation of an R7800, it is better to wait things out. As I also stated in my original reply in post 2 above.

But anyone reading this and considering an R7800 today would be badly misled, IMO, vs. the other models, I suggested.

Great tech products come and go. Always. They are never forever.

I had the gaming version of R7800 for a little bit. I think it was XR450...2.4G QAM limited variant of XR500.

You don't need to upgrade if you're not over the 500-600mbps ISP threshold.

The advantage that (the 2016) R7800 had over the (2017) AC86U (and gaming variant GT-AC2900) was potential throughput. AC86U hit an inconsistent 600mbps wall close range via 80mhz bonding.. (GT-AC2900 variant does full 900+mbps with 80+80 mode enabled).

Might be the same case for 160mhz on R7800. Most clients will get cucked on range as the radio gets divided into 2x2 + 2x2 mode across 36-64 channel bonding and native 80mhz clients end up performing sub par at range... In which case a modern router with 4x4 160mhz is innately better for more types of clients.

R7800 QCA platform also had a weaker main CPU relative speaking (vs AC86U's 1.8Ghz A53). It was VERY slow once you added SW layers.. DumaOS (Netgear gaming OS for XR450/500) and Synology router management (on RT2600) bogged the 1.7Ghz A7 down quite a bit. Aftermarket firmware is likely a must at this point.

Performance wise, Netgear had the best performing ACW2 router in terms of radio, followed by AC86U/GT-AC2900 in my environment. Synology RT2600 with the same QCA platform as the R7800 ended up performing worse for me.

The Krait was better than previous gen 1Ghz A9 Broadcom, but the BCM4906 from AC86U is still found in modern stuff, and does relatively well, granted it doesn't really get used for WIFI oriented task... Radio sided.

It's a good router, but there are better alternatives these days, especially if you're over 500-600mbps ISP speed.

If your ISP plan is only around 100-300mbps, there's really no point in upgrading. Ride it out. My2c.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd just shut off the WiFi and plug in a modern AP with AX. Cheaper than a new router and performs better because all it does is WiFi.

I was hesitant to reply but figured I could start with; hi my name it Rob and I am a router junky...

So I replaced my R7800 with the AX86U and now the GT--AX6000. I had posted before about my RX-AX86U upgrade.. The 7800, with Voxel of course, has to be the most stable and reliable router I have ever used for my small home.. I still have it as backup ..in fact I would sell either ASUS before my 7800 ...its like those old Linksys routers one becomes endeared with ..

The AX86U got me some better range on the 5Ghz in the far bedroom where my small phones could not do 5Ghz and needed to revert to the 2.4. In fact I had a small extender for awhile when I had older phones that struggled in that bedroom.

With my internet upgraded to 1Gbit down I had a switch that wouldnt do gigabit that i replaced and a laptop that wouldnt do gigabit either. Thats when I decided to replace the 7800 just to get a bit more wireless speed from my newer phone and laptop...like I needed to upgrade everything. But the 7800 had no problem doing 900+ downloads. The AX86U was not a night and day difference.. I basically now enjoy 5Ghz in the bedroom and my phone and laptop connect with AX. Wireless speeds are bit better than the 7800 but not like double or anything. Maybe better use of my internet speed but hardly noticable.

I then decided to get the GT-AX6000 because I figured I will need 2 2.5 gb ports if want wired speed above 1Gbit for a desktop I dont have. I can say I do not notice any better wireless speed with it over the AX86U...range in the far bedroom seems about the same. In my setup I would rate them exactly the same..

With that I decided to keep the GT-AX6000 and sell the AX86U... but not my R7800. All in all not the best use of money for the current improvements I gained but I had a lot of fun. The R7800 with Voxel is still the most stable and reliable router Ive owned and remains ahead of its time.

I was hesitant to reply but figured I could start with; hi my name it Rob and I am a router junky...

So I replaced my R7800 with the AX86U and now the GT--AX6000. I had posted before about my RX-AX86U upgrade.. The 7800, with Voxel of course, has to be the most stable and reliable router I have ever used for my small home.. I still have it as backup ..in fact I would sell either ASUS before my 7800 ...its like those old Linksys routers one becomes endeared with ..

The AX86U got me some better range on the 5Ghz in the far bedroom where my small phones could not do 5Ghz and needed to revert to the 2.4. In fact I had a small extender for awhile when I had older phones that struggled in that bedroom.

With my internet upgraded to 1Gbit down I had a switch that wouldnt do gigabit that i replaced and a laptop that wouldnt do gigabit either. Thats when I decided to replace the 7800 just to get a bit more wireless speed from my newer phone and laptop...like I needed to upgrade everything. But the 7800 had no problem doing 900+ downloads. The AX86U was not a night and day difference.. I basically now enjoy 5Ghz in the bedroom and my phone and laptop connect with AX. Wireless speeds are bit better than the 7800 but not like double or anything. Maybe better use of my internet speed but hardly noticable.

I then decided to get the GT-AX6000 because I figured I will need 2 2.5 gb ports if want wired speed above 1Gbit for a desktop I dont have. I can say I do not notice any better wireless speed with it over the AX86U...range in the far bedroom seems about the same. In my setup I would rate them exactly the same..

With that I decided to keep the GT-AX6000 and sell the AX86U... but not my R7800. All in all not the best use of money for the current improvements I gained but I had a lot of fun. The R7800 with Voxel is still the most stable and reliable router Ive owned and remains ahead of its time.

Could try a RAX120 or AX89X. Both Qualcomm based like you're previous R7800, but has 8x8 5G MIMO via teamed radios. This would likely be a real "upgrade" from your previous R7800, even for older 2x2 AC clients @ range.

The down side? Very niche "high end" units with lack of support. There's also reports of radios dying and rebooting issues on both. (Designs seem to use an internal fan for cooling..)

Thanks. I would not buy any Netgear stuff after dealing with their support and buggy firmware. It's a real shame as their hardware may be great.

Last edited:
I have three 7800's one in the attic and one on the first floor so range is not an issue. I have the other for backup. I have been using them with Voxel firmware for years and they work well. Lately I noticed one of my main clients takes a while to connect to 5ghz but always does eventually. Also something is up with the oldest one I use on the first floor it just locks up every once in a while and by that I mean maybe 5 to 6 mos of continuous use. I keep seeing that wifi AX has lower latency and faster connect time etc... So I bought an AX86U and have it home now testing it. I only use them in access point mode as I have a pfsense router. I can't for the life of me get the AX86U to do anything better than the 7800. I tried pure 5ghz wifi speed I tried multiple clients wifi speed. I use the 7800 with the latest Voxel firmware and 160mhz channel mode. I really want wifi to get better and solve the few small issues I have but AX isn't the answer for me so far. I'm keeping the ASUS to do some more testing for now but I think it's going back.

Last edited:
I'm keeping the ASUS to do some more testing for now but I think it's going back.

Send AX68U back because it disappeared in stores and is perhaps discontinued model already. It wasn't very successful Asus model to begin with.