What's new

R7800 VPN Setup Voxel firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Breebz

New Around Here
I am trying to figure out how to set this up. Is there a tutorial for this? I have searched Youtube in hopes of a video but have found nothing. I have no experience with setting up a VPN using the Open configuration. I started it and it give me 2 choices that I must either have a static IP address from my ISP which I dont or I need to use a Dynamic DNS service which I dont have.
I had a Netgear XR500 and the VPN service was easy to setup however it was so slow I returned the router. I am back with my X4s after reading about Voxel's firmware. I have the latest version 1.0.2.76.1SF installed.
Also is there a way you can only set the VPN for certain clients on your network or will the router just VPN everything? I have 1GB up/down fiber

Thanks

I am trying to figure out how to set this up. Is there a tutorial for this? I have searched Youtube in hopes of a video but have found nothing. I have no experience with setting up a VPN using the Open configuration. I started it and it give me 2 choices that I must either have a static IP address from my ISP which I dont or I need to use a Dynamic DNS service which I dont have.
I had a Netgear XR500 and the VPN service was easy to setup however it was so slow I returned the router. I am back with my X4s after reading about Voxel's firmware. I have the latest version 1.0.2.76.1SF installed.
Also is there a way you can only set the VPN for certain clients on your network or will the router just VPN everything? I have 1GB up/down fiber

By itself Voxel's firmware can be set uo to give VPN only for all clients. His read me file gives full instructions on how to set it up.

However, for a selective client VPN set up you need to install Kamoj's excellent addon https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-v5-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/

It makes it easy to set up what you want

I suggest you try the Kamoj add-on.
If you want the best experience for "bypassing" (selective routing) and are adventurous, please join the beta test program by PM to kamoj.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-5-1-beta-testing-poll.62315/
Which VPN provider do you use?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: KW.
By itself Voxel's firmware can be set uo to give VPN only for all clients. His read me file gives full instructions on how to set it up.

However, for a selective client VPN set up you need to install Kamoj's excellent addon https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-v5-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/

It makes it easy to set up what you want
Thanks for the info. I looked for Voxel's readme file in the firmware download but did not see it. All I have is the .img file. Do you know where this file is located?

Thanks for the info. I looked for Voxel's readme file in the firmware download but did not see it. All I have is the .img file. Do you know where this file is located?

If you go to Voxel's main download page https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r7800.html there is a readme.docx file - it contains everything you need.

As noted earlier, Voxel's firmware by itself sets up a single VPN client that applies to everything going through the router. To be selective and have only selected attached devices bypassing the VPN you must use Kamoj's addon

Hope that helps

If you go to Voxel's main download page https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r7800.html there is a readme.docx file - it contains everything you need.

As noted earlier, Voxel's firmware by itself sets up a single VPN client that applies to everything going through the router. To be selective and have only selected attached devices bypassing the VPN you must use Kamoj's addon

Hope that helps
I downloaded the readme file but its blank. I just have word reader. Guess I need Word to read this doc. It just has a big black icon with the word DOC in white letters. I used the readme tab at the top of the website for download.

My advice is follow the advice by Kamoj (if you have not done so) and you will get a great addon to Voxels firmware that will solve all your problems:

Kamoj said
I suggest you try the Kamoj add-on.
If you want the best experience for "bypassing" (selective routing) and is adventurous, please join the beta test program by PM to kamoj.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-5-1-beta-testing-poll.62315/
Which VPN provider do you use?

I downloaded the readme file but its blank. I just have word reader. Guess I need Word to read this doc. It just has a big black icon with the word DOC in white letters. I used the readme tab at the top of the website for download.

I can change it this README in PDF format. OK?

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!