1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

R7800: WiFi 5Ghz DFS Channel Changes

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AC Wireless' started by LongbowArcher, Jun 5, 2020.

1. LongbowArcher

LongbowArcher New Around Here

Hi all,

don´t know if this is normal or not but everytime I change the channel for 5Ghz Wifi to 100 or above it is changing the channel to 48 or 64. I know this is because of DFS and the router has to switch if he registers an radar signal. But I observed some other WiFi in my neighborhood and there are a lot of WiFi that are rarely changing their channels below 100 and if the do they are back on 100 or above after some time.

For my understanding: I cannot prevent the router to change the channel but is there an option that the R7800 is changing back to the original choosed channel (e.g. 100) if there is no radar signal anymore? Other routers in my neighborhood seem to have the option.

Additional infos: I am using the latest Voxel firmware (thank you for your work Voxel!) and I am located in Europa/Germany (for DFS)

Thanks in advance for your help-

2. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

No the router will simply pick a channel that it thinks has the least interference.

LongbowArcher likes this.
  3. LongbowArcher

Ok that‘s what I thought :( so no chance that the router will switch back to channel 100 . Thanks for your answer :)

4. LongbowArcher

Hi all,

sorry for double posting but wanted to give an update for people who have maybe the same problem:

I switched from Voxel .76 to Voxel .77 and the R7800 now stays on channel 100 (since 7 days). So the router is not switching the channel to 64 (or lower) after a few hours. So maybe installing the newest version of Voxel´s fixed it for me :)