What's new

R7800 wifi issues (trying to move to voxel's firmware)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nitro322

New Around Here
Hello, all. Apologies for the somewhat vague title, but really not sure what's going on. Hoping for some guidance.

I have an R7800. Ran it stock for a little bit and both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios worked fine (or, more specifically, I could see and connect to both SSIDs from my wireless clients). Converted to DD-WRT after a while and could no longer see the 5 GHz SSID after that. Don't really need 5 GHz, and DD-WRT for the 7800 seemed to be pretty immature at the time, so I chalked it up to an issue with DD-WRT and left it as-is. Upgraded DD-WRT once ore twice since then, but never did get 5 GHz working.

Flash to today - I discovered voxel's firmware today and thought my prayers had been solved - mature "stock" firmware + the various additional administrative services that I'm looking for? Sign me up! So, I immediately began the process of converting over to voxel by doing the following:

1. Backup current config
2. Flash ddwrt-to-netgear-fw-R7800.bin to revert back to (old) stock firmware and reset to defaults
3. Flash R7800-V1.0.2.45SF.img and reset to defaults

After configuring the router I tried connecting my laptop to wifi and couldn't see either radio/SSID. Tried the same on my laptop, with the same result. Fiddled a while (power off/on, another factory reset, changing SSIDs and settings, etc.) with no result.

I found mention of problems with 1.0.2.40+ firmware, so I downgraded to 1.0.2.38SF and repeated everything, including factory reset again. Same results - no wifi.

Getting worried, I then flashed to stock 1.0.2.38, reset, reconfigured. STILL no wifi.

Getting very worried, I flashed back to DD-WRT, re-installing the same built from November that I was running previously, and restoring my backed up settings. I'm now back to my previously working state - 2.4 GHz DOES work, 5 GHz still does not. So, I'm pleased to having working wifi again, but obviously this is not ideal. I'd like to move to voxel's firmware, and, failing that, I expect I should at least have working wifi on stock.

Any ideas what might be happening, and more importantly how I can fix it? I have no problem blowing away my settings and trying whatever, just want to know how to get wifi fully working again, even if just on stock as a starting point. After stock failed I was getting worried that I had somehow permanently damaged or fried the radios in the router (though that doesn't seem like that should be possible), but being back to the same state as when I'm started now I think there has to be some kind of configuration issue.

Would really appreciate any pointers, as I'm completely stumped. Thanks in advance.

Damn, that looks like exactly what I need. I'm about to head to bed right now, but I'll give that a shot when I wake up.

Thanks a bunch. Will report back with my results.

Confirmed - 'mtd erase netgear' + another factory reset (not sure if that last step was actually needed) fixed my problem. Thanks for the pointer. I had done a fair bit of searching before posting here, but didn't come across that suggestion.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!