What's new

R7800 with Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.2.65SF QOS database problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GaselK

Regular Contributor
Hi. i am on latest Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.2.65SF and i noticed when i try to check for an updated QOS database router (R7800) responds with
"Failed to download detection database. Please try again later".
My router clock and ntp settings are correct.
I remember some time ago it used to give the message that no newer database exists.
Any ideas ?

When I click on it, it says " Downloading latest fq_code etc to get rid of your ISPs horrible bufferbloat .."

No I am kidding..

But if I look at my dslreports history going back over a year I had some better grades like a B and I know for sure I was not running any QoS then... Maybe my 8 channel modem did better. No idea what firmware I was on back then.. Its possible my ISPs network has changed also.. This is an ISP that still distributes Puma 6 modems so attention to detail is not their forte.

Maybe this is a silly question, but does the QOS setting effect all traffic or just Internet traffic sources? In other words, does the QOS settings effect the performace of streaming video from my Synology NAS to my FireTV. All traffic is on the LAN.

Hi. i am on latest Firmware Version (Voxel) V1.0.2.65SF and i noticed when i try to check for an updated QOS database router (R7800) responds with
"Failed to download detection database. Please try again later".
My router clock and ntp settings are correct.
I remember some time ago it used to give the message that no newer database exists.
Any ideas ?

I do not think that it is my failure. If I am not mistaken it was working in Jan or so.

The problem is that QoS tries to reach the site updates.r7800.netgear.streamboost.yeti.bigfootnetworks.com (this URL, probably QCA, is assembled when you click "Update QoS") but no such site anymore. Maybe NG is not interested in continuation of QoS DB update for R7800 (EOL?).

Voxel.

Hi @Voxel ! Of course it is not you. I tried latest official fw and i have the same behavior.
I agree that it seems updating streamboost for R7800 reach an EOL condition. (=NXDOMAIN)
I guess we have to wait and see.
Thank you Voxel for clarifying and all your work for our R7800 !

Last edited:
Something you might ask NG or NetGearGuy about and see what the status is for the R7800. Possible that QoS DB has met EOL. Since the R7800 is getting up in age now.

Hi @Voxel ! Of course it is not you. I tried latest official fw and i have the same behavior.
I agree that it seems updating streamboost for R7800 reach an EOL condition. (=NXDOMAIN)
I guess we have to wait and see.
Thank you Voxel for clarifying and all you work for our R7800 !

Last edited:
I don't know if this is mentioned before or it is a "new feature" or a forgotten remnant...
Lets say you router ip is 192.168.1.1 try this ...

http://192.168.1.1/QOS_prru_main.htm
Just discovered it from the AX section of the forum.
(credit to @avtella for Netgears Hidden Pages.)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-router-hidden-pages.56118/
@Voxel are we see something new or something old forgotten in R7800 code ?

i really need the device QoS priority feature as the current option in the menu isnt great. I need my desktop to always be top of the pile, the rule set working now always priorities video and voice even when the device is set to low.

i really need the device QoS priority feature as the current option in the menu isnt great. I need my desktop to always be top of the pile, the rule set working now always priorities video and voice even when the device is set to low.

Have you tried the OpenWRT firmware? People on this forum have said the QOS works really well. I used to use that firmware with my old WNDR3700.

Take a look here for a little bit of insight regarding BigFoot Networks and StreamBoost:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-features/32297-does-qualcomms-streamboost-really-work

streamboost_optin.jpg

It never worked well on D-Links DGL-5500 sad to say. What a roller coaster ride that was. QCA was very bad in development of SB and keeping it working well. Never again. :mad:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!