What's new

R7800 WOL & Speed Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tario70

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

I just bought an R7800 (on sale for 199 at Best Buy!) & in the process of setting it up I have run into 2 issues.

1. I cannot get WOL over WAN to work. I can see the request in my logs but the PC does not wake up. WOL over LAN works without issue. I also enabled respond to ping & verified my DDNS address responds to ping.
  2. While initially setting up the router I saw my download speeds in the 90-100 via hard wired & 57+ via my iPhone 6 on the 5GHz network. Now I'm seeing 10-12 via my hard wired PC & my iPhone 6. I've tried resetting the modem & rebooting the router but nothing.
I'm on the latest Firmware & my iPhone, PC & a few other devices are set up with reserved IPs.

Lastly, I'm coming from a D-Link DIR-825 that worked flawlessly with WOL over WAN so I know it works. The big difference was the DLink had a "Virtual Server" section that allowed the setup of WOL where I'm just port forwarding on the R7800.

Any ideas/help?

Thanks in Advance!

Edit: So the big difference that the R7800 won't let me port forward to the broadcast frame/address of 255 which means no WoL via WAN. Anyone have any solutions? Netgear Guy?

Edit2:
  • I reset the router to factory settings & that did not fix the speed issue. I also tried a 30-30-30 reset & re-updated the firmware to the latest version with zero changes. For troubleshooting purposes, I had my DIR-825 & R7800 both powered on & would swap the network cables back & forth. The 825 would be in the 80-90mbps down while the R7800 would not hit higher than 15. QoS was disabled for all testing
  • For the WoL issue, does the R7800 have the ability to run as an OpenVPN server? So that I could basically connect to my network through my phone, then send the WoL packet to wake up my machine. WoL worked consistently while on my local network & this could be a work around.
Thoughts? Ideas? Any Help?

Thanks again.

Final Edit:

I returned the router to Best Buy today. Without any way to really figure out the issues I just moved on.

Thanks for those that looked at the thread.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Did you try the Netgear forums? There are a lot more Netgear owners over there than here, might have been someone who went through those issues or who could have helped you.

Just a thought...

Did you try the Netgear forums? There are a lot more Netgear owners over there than here, might have been someone who went through those issues or who could have helped you.

Just a thought...

RogerSC, I did in fact & found these things.

It seems there are 2 problems that I face with every new router purchase:

1. The router does not allow port forwarding to the broadcast IP address (ie: 192.168.1.255). This means WoL via WAN will fail.
  2. WoL via WAN/Internet requires the router to have a feature called "ip directed broadcast" enabled, and the IETF now requires this be disabled as the router's default setting and most manufacturers simply don't provide a way to enable it.

I found both of those answers at the Netgear Forums. This is my 2nd AC router purchase that has failed to be able to do WoL via WAN. I do think the speed issue was a defect of the specific router I bought but without a way to consistently setup WoL via WAN (WoL in general worked great), I'm left searching.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!