What's new

R7960P half speed ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sherretz

New Around Here
Hi All,

I was pointed here from another forum. I've got FiOS Gigabit service and I can get solid numbers for speed checks when I connect my desktop to the FiOS Gateway. When I connect to the R7960P, however, my ethernet speed drops to ~300-400 Mbps. Wifi speeds are in the 90-300 Mbps range, depending on distance from the router, as expected.

I'm assuming I have a feature turned on or off, which is causing this issue. I have the router in a DMZ on the FiOS Gateway, and both devices sit right next to each other on my desk. All related patch/connection cables are CAT 5e or better, and new. Firmware is up to date. Could some weirdness with QoS be causing this issue? Anything else I should check?

I'm debating doing a reset on the router tonight, to see if that solves the problem by at least proving that the baseline config doesn't have this issue.

Try a factory reset on the R router and setup from scratch. Be sure to not enable QoS, Traffic Meter or any access controls.
Be sure the wifi is fully disabled on the FIOS gateway if any is enabled.
Can the FIOS gateway be bridged any? Just wondering here.

2.4 is definitely disabled in the Gateway. When I attempted to disable 5.0, it told me the signal was needed to communicated with the STB. A bit odd but I didn't dig into it. The signals on the R are on separate channels and I don't have any issues.

Just to be clear, the speed degradation I'm seeing is only on wired/ethernet. No issues with my wifi speeds. Then again, the devices I'm using to test wifi speed aren't going to get blazing numbers anyway (newest devices are Pixel 3 and Galaxy S9).

Most Wifi devices will max out at around 400-500Mbps depending.

Check the wired speeds after a factory reset...

Update: the reset fixed the ethernet speed issue, but now wifi speed is capped at 100Mbps.

All I did was turn on wifi and give it the previous SSID and password I used previously. We were also using "smart connections" [my term]; the feature that lets the router choose 2.4G vs. 5G, so I turned that on. I suspect that the router is shunting everything to 2.4G and it's capping the speed, so I'll try disabling that feature tonight.

So your seeing 900Mpbs on the WAN to LAN?

"Smart Connect" should be working to let the connected clients connect to either radio. The router doesn't choose this, the client HW does.

What FW version are you using?

Yes, I'm seeing 900 Mbps on WAN to LAN.

I'm using the newest firmware, which I believe is 1.0.1.34 but I'll have to confirm when I get home tonight.

Ok. Let us know. Glad your getting 900Mbps...at least that's working for you.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!