What's new

r9000 Bandwidth Management by Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robodude

New Around Here
Hello. I'm thrilled to find these forums.

I own 3 homes where I do home-sharing. Internet access is a key amenity, so reliability and remote management are critical.

One of my homes is very large, with up to 24 guests on any given night. I average about 1.5Tb per month download in that home. Since I installed the r9000 this past fall I almost never get complaints of bad signals or Internet issues. This is amazing to me, considering how my Asus with 9dB gain omni-antennas required a range extender to cover the same area.

As great as the r9000 range and throughput is, from what I can see there is no way to see how much bandwidth each user has consumed, and limit the worst offenders accordingly.

I started with the stock firmware, and then to DD-WRT. I am aware of YAMon, but that is just for monitoring and does not provide limiting, correct? Plus I can't figure out how to install anything due to lack of SSH on the r9000.

My two other homes still use Asus routers that offer excellent per-client monitoring and management. I can tell exactly how much they have downloaded relative to everybody else, and set max up/down speeds, which are very important when multiple people (even a family) are sharing a router.

Am I just being stupid and missing something already built into the r9000? If not, is there a firmware that provides what I need? If not, is there a comparable router (in terms of range/throughput) that provides per-client monitoring and management?

Since this does cost me money each month in overage charges, and I do really like the r9000 otherwise, I am willing to make an investment if someone can help me configure my current firmware, if possible, or help me develop something new.

Maybe I am not the only one who wants/expects this functionality out of such a high-end router? I hope I am just being stupid and missing the functionality in the configuration screens.

Thank you,
Scott

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!