What's new

R9000 Cant enable Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

inewton888

New Around Here
Like to see if any experts here have seen the problem below before and can provide a fix...

After lots of flashes and resets using various combinations of methods to upgrade my R9000 router firmware to the latest dd-wrt unsuccessfully and then later Voxel successfully, I have lost 2.4G wifi since the first couple of flashes. Reflashing and resetting much more didn't bring back the 2.4G wifi. Thinking that I have a hardware issue, I flashed back to stock to talk to Netgear support hoping that I can get a RMA. They told me I have a software issue and wanted me to pay for extended support, but I didn't go through with it because I really just wanted a RMA as I had hardware warranty. I resorted to Voxel's latest firmware to use the telnet function to follow the post below about Netgear's wifi bug, hoping to bring back 2.4G by using wlan up and down, and using the nvram commands...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-no-wifi.68728/

When I did a >wlan up, I get the response below in telnet. Has anyone seen this before? I think I might be missing wifi drivers?
All radios 2.4, 5, and 60 are enabled in the advanced menu, but no 2.4G wifi signal and 5G toggles on/off every 2 mins.

phy for wifi device wifi1 not found
wifi1(qcawifi): enable failed
Interface doesn't accept private ioctl...
setHwaddr (8BE4): Device or resource busy
/usr/sbin/wlanconfig: ioctl: Invalid argument
enable_qcawifi(wifi0): Failed to set up ap vif
wifi1 no private ioctls.

wifi1 no private ioctls.

wifi0(qcawifi): enable failed
Sorry, rule does not exist.
wifi1 no private ioctls.

/sbin/wlan: eval: 1: cannot create /sys/class/net/wifi1/led: Directory nonexistent
/sbin/wlan: /sbin/wlan: 1: execute_wifi_updateconf_event: not found

All those errors are normal for both R7800 and R9000.
If you have the kamoj beta add-on not all errors will appear though.

From the kamoj FAQ.txt:
Code:
Q: I have tried different Firmware (Netgear / Voxel / DD-WRT / LEDE / OpenWRT) and now
   I can't switch on the WiFi! What can I do?
A: This is a Netgear bug that can happen randomly to anyone when updating any firmware.
   Erase all configuration data:
   R7800: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
   nvram default
   nvram commit
   mtd erase netgear
   reboot

R8900/R9000: Run these commands from a router shell/prompt:
   nvram default
   nvram commit
   ngmtd="$(awk -F: '/"netgear"$/ {print $1}' /proc/mtd | grep mtd)"
   [ -n "$ngmtd" ] && flash_erase /dev/"$ngmtd" 0 0
   reboot

Q: My WiFi can not be switched on. It's on in ADVANCED: Advanced Setup: Wireless Settings,
   but the BASIC page and the Kamoj add-on Router Information shows it as off.
   Also there really is no WiFi available to connect. What can I do? (@Giudi001)
A: This is a Netgear bug that can also happen when you update the Firmware or at other times...
   Run these commands, one by one, from a router shell/prompt:
   wlan down
   wlan up
   wlan toggle
   wlan toggle

or if that didn't work:
   wlan up
   wlan down
   wlan up
   wlan toggle

Like to see if any experts here have seen the problem below before and can provide a fix...

After lots of flashes and resets using various combinations of methods to upgrade my R9000 router firmware to the latest dd-wrt unsuccessfully and then later Voxel successfully, I have lost 2.4G wifi since the first couple of flashes. Reflashing and resetting much more didn't bring back the 2.4G wifi. Thinking that I have a hardware issue, I flashed back to stock to talk to Netgear support hoping that I can get a RMA. They told me I have a software issue and wanted me to pay for extended support, but I didn't go through with it because I really just wanted a RMA as I had hardware warranty. I resorted to Voxel's latest firmware to use the telnet function to follow the post below about Netgear's wifi bug, hoping to bring back 2.4G by using wlan up and down, and using the nvram commands...
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-no-wifi.68728/

When I did a >wlan up, I get the response below in telnet. Has anyone seen this before? I think I might be missing wifi drivers?
All radios 2.4, 5, and 60 are enabled in the advanced menu, but no 2.4G wifi signal and 5G toggles on/off every 2 mins.

phy for wifi device wifi1 not found
wifi1(qcawifi): enable failed
Interface doesn't accept private ioctl...
setHwaddr (8BE4): Device or resource busy
/usr/sbin/wlanconfig: ioctl: Invalid argument
enable_qcawifi(wifi0): Failed to set up ap vif
wifi1 no private ioctls.

wifi1 no private ioctls.

wifi0(qcawifi): enable failed
wifi1 no private ioctls.

/sbin/wlan: eval: 1: cannot create /sys/class/net/wifi1/led: Directory nonexistent
/sbin/wlan: /sbin/wlan: 1: execute_wifi_updateconf_event: not found

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!