What's new

Voxel R9000 possibility for VLAN tagging (internal)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Selcal

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

In some ways, this has already been asked, but then again not quite :). I haven't found specific answers for the R9000 on Voxel.

I would like to isolate 1 (or more) LAN ports on my R9000 from the rest of the (W)LAN; while keeping WAN connectivity. The port(s) can just be completely isolated, no need for them to be in a specific VLAN or bridge, as long as there is WAN connectivity and no LAN (except obviously to the router itself).
Normally I'd be using VLAN. The firmware has options for VLAN tagging towards the WAN, but not on the internal switch(es).
I've already found that the internal switch configuration is fairly 'unusual', making this harder to do than in other routers. The wiki author at dd-wrt hasn't 'figured it out' ;)

Since there's little to nothing about it, and dd-wrt hasn't figured it out, I'm tempted not to waste my time (and possibly completely mess up the config/routing on my R9000).
Unless... anyone here who has more clear knowledge of the hardware/firmware configuration has some pointers for me to try? I don't mind to experiment, as long as there's any possibility of succes.

If not, then at least I'll know to give up on this one :)
Thanks!

VLANs on NG routers are meant for specific ISP purposes where they may be needed for an ISP to function properly. They're not full-blown VLANs like you think they ara and cannot accomplish what you want.

Thanks, appreciate the reply. Actually, they're exactly like I think they are, which is unfortunate. There was always hoping! This is still my main router of choice in the house.
I asked as some of the cheapest routers I have lying around here can do it (with Open/DD-wrt), but some of the more expensive ones cannot. I didn't see any way of doing it, but worth to ask the experts.
I'll use one of the cheap routers to client into the guest WLAN and then plug in the LAN devices into that. Not pretty, but it works well :).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!