What's new

Random Sound Over Network - What is it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

finvarra

Occasional Visitor
I've been on several help forums trying to solve this frustrating issue. Hope someone here can help. Here's the story:

I was using a self-built Windows 7 machine for 2 years. Suddenly, about 3 months ago, a specific random sound started occurring (sometimes 3x in a row, other times not for several hours) - I disabled all system sounds and it still continued, even though I didn't notice any USB hardware blips). Two months ago, I bought the new Intel NUC7i7BNH, installed Windows 10, and within a few hours the issue suddenly started all over again.

I've managed to record a few instances of the sound. It is always the same. Here's a link: https://soundcloud.com/finvarra/nuc-sound-2

Over the last months, I have replaced or swapped out literally all my hardware, disabled all Windows power-saving settings, turned off ALL Windows system sounds,disabled wireless and bluetooth on the computer, tested the same configuration on 3 different computers (1 running Win 10, the others Win 7), changed ISPs (and router), eliminated every computer-related fix Google (and several computer advisers) could suggest including testing all USBs and running USBDeview (with no hits), reinstalled Windows - all without any change.

It's definitely coming through the powered speakers (which I have replaced). I get no hardware hiccops. The randomness is what is really frustrating. For instance it was silent all yesterday morning, then 3 times in a half-hour, then nothing until this morning - just once - and then suddenly nearly a dozen times in 10 minutes. There is just no pattern - no particular change in electrical usage - and the sound cannot be controlled or even disabled in Windows. The events viewer never shows anything that corresponds to the sounds.

One hypothesis was that it could be electrical in nature. I tested all the sockets on the circuit (tested fine) and even replaced them. No change. I thought that maybe it could be a firewall issue in my router (notifications???) and disabled it. No change. Someone thought it might be an alert from the router and sent packets to the router to try to replicate the sound. Nothing.

A few weeks ago, based on someone's suggestion, I placed ferrite ring cores on all the plugs and the speaker wire. That seemed to work. However, after 48 hours of blissful silence, the sound returned 3x in 10 minutes.

I ran wirestack and managed to capture several instances of the time when the random sound appeared. However, when I heard the sound (if I'm lucky enough to be at the computer), it took me at least 10 seconds to reopen the program and stop the capture. By then, there can be over 1000 entries - and I was lost w/out more direction. It's like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack. If the needle is indeed in the haystack...

Yesterday I tried doing a clean boot. No sounds for 18 hours - then suddenly 5-6x in 10 minutes.

Until I wrote this, I disconnected the network and had no issues for several hours.

Where it stands:

Same specific sound. 3 different computers. No software overlap. *Probably* is passing through the network - even though I've changed ISPs, routers, and even type of connection (from DSL to cable). I've observed it happens predominantly in the daytime (90% of the time at least).

To summarize... I'm looking for something that (a) sounds like the above; (b) seems to pass through the network whatever machine I use, (c) is totally independent of anything I may be doing (or not doing anything) at the time; (d) and is completely random.

The NUC itself is running great... and I would just like to figure out WHAT the sound is and WHERE it's coming from and (esp. if it's something outside the house) HOW I can block it.

ANY direction (or out of the box suggestions) would be much appreciated as this issue has been very frustrating. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
what types of lights are in the room ?

Two lamps, standard bulbs. Both there before the issue started. And as it usually happens in the daytime, I rarely have them on.

I should also mention that I have a 2nd computer upstairs that is connected to the same network via ethernet. It exhibited the same issue,

Any HAM radio operators nearby ? UHF transmiiting antenna ? Cell ?
Smart power meters ?
I would bet on power or ground lead pickup or something broadcasting RF.
The ferrite chokes are used to filter RF pickup. Used to have them on my analog video cable from pc to crt where shielding was imperfect. You may just nead a wider band filter if those got rid of most of it.
Since two different PCs pick it up on their speakers, it has to be something in common. Could be something outside.

I used to occasionally pick up a Morse code transmission out of the blue from a nearby HAM operator.

Listening to the recording makes me think of an overdamped R-C circuit discharge.
Do you know anyone that works in RF circuits ?

Last edited:
Any HAM radio operators nearby ? UHF transmiiting antenna ? Cell ?
Smart power meters ?

Someone else had mentioned smart power meters - but would it have the consistent sound?

Also, I went to a ham radio site.... and they said the sound was "too clean" to be radio interference.

I thought the ferrite cores were the answer and put a dozen on plugs, speaker wire, cables, etc. - but didn't make any difference.

If it was power/ground lead pickup, is there any way to block it?

If you unplug the ethernet connection to the PCs, do you get the sound ?

If you do, power down all of the network while disconnected. Do you get the sound ?

If you do, then it is not from network and is either RF or on the power leads - +,N, GND.

At that point, it could be anything on power or connected to the earth ground.

A sudden burst like that is usually associated with a motor starter or switching or keying a radio transmitter. Appliances are a prime suspect. Are you on city water or a well ?

Do you get the sound if you use "unpowered" speakers ? That may give a hint on which direction to pursue

Last edited:
I'll experiment more on disconnecting the ethernet and listening for the sound. I've done it some in the past. It's not totally conclusive b/c of the random nature of the sound, but I've *never* heard it when it's unplugged.

If that turns out to be the case, is there any way I can completely block it - short of being offline or switching off the speaker? I have shut off the wireless on the computer, but need to leave it on the router b/c my wife needs it.

maybe move the access point further away ?
or switch to a different band ?
or use fully shielded speakers and wire ?

the voltage levels on the ethernet cables should not be high enough to radiate significantly. However, if the cable is not twisted wire cable, they make good antennas.

You need an AC source or motor starter, RF, etc. to drive them. It sounds like something is building up charge and then breaking down and discharging emitting on some set of frequencies.

you will have to pin down the source and receptor to do anything definitive.

This sounds reasonable - my only question (and one I keep asking myself) is, why is the sound so consistent and clean? Wouldn't a built-up charge be stacic-y and inconsistent?

I'm using standard ethernet cable. Might attaching one of those ferrite cores help? If not, what weight (?) cable should I buy?
Same with speaker wire. I'm using an audioengine 5+ powered speaker which came with its own wire (looks fairly light). What kind should I buy?

Thanks so much for your help!

Just to add to what others have said; I find it extremely hard to think of a scenario where this kind of noise is being propagated through an Ethernet connection. The design of the cables (twisted pairs, no "ground" wire, digital, etc.) simply wouldn't allow it unless there was some major mis-wiring somewhere, and I think that would have a pretty noticeable effect on your network throughput. Don't put ferrite cores on Ethernet patch cables.

If not, what weight (?) cable should I buy?
Ethernet cables don't have "weights", they're not like analogue audio cables. The "category" dictates the construction, i.e. Cat5 Cat5e, Cat6.

To me the recording sounds like a "Windows sound" because it's so clean, although I can't find a precise match to any of the Windows 7 sound effects (annoyingly I'm sure I've heard that sound before but can't place it). I'd concur with the others that, if it is from an RF source then it's either coming through the power supply Earth or being induced into the input cable of the powered speakers.

P.S. I notice that the Audioengine 5+ has a USB socket on the back. Do you have anything connected to that? If so, try unplugging it and seeing if that is the source of the sound.

Last edited:
@ColinTaylor - Believe me, I share your "annoyance" b/c I have been trying to place that Windows-like sound for 3 months. To my ears, it sounds like (but not quite) the old device disconnect sound. My other frustration is that I have replaced or swapped every piece of hardware in this quest. The computer itself is working great and I have no network problems.

It is also frustrating b/c over last weekend, I had no sounds. Then many instances over the next 2 days... and nothing for nearly a day. And very rarely any at night. Is that any kind of clue I should explore?

Re: the powered speakers - they are new since the event began, but the offending sound is exactly the same. (As well as when I attach a different machine - even a friend's - to the same network....) That is why I thought it *must* be a networking issue.

Given all this - what would you do at this point (aside from taking a sledgehammer to the system)?

Re: the powered speakers - they are new since the event began, but the offending sound is exactly the same. (As well as when I attach a different machine - even a friend's - to the same network....) That is why I thought it *must* be a networking issue.
Sorry, I missed the bit where you said the same sound appears through other PC's speakers.

I follow your logic about the network being the only common factor. But still, if it were RF interference, for the exact same sound to appear on multiple machines it would have to travel through each device's audio circuitry and be processed in exactly the same way. That seems like a stretch.

Presumably these different network devices have their own Ethernet cables so that probably eliminates a faulty cable? When the sound happens have you looked in the Windows Event Viewer to see if anything happened at the same time?

Last edited:
I thought it was *very* close to sound #2:

Yes, I've looked exhaustively in the Windows Event Viewer, ran USBDeview, and Process Manager (filtering it to try and find *.wav sounds). Nothing.

btw... Today is a good day - no sounds *yet*

I thought it was *very* close to sound #2:
The USB sounds are two different tones one after another. The sample you posted on SoundCloud sounds like a single tone to my ear, but perhaps that's just the way it's recorded. Have you got any more recordings or are they all identical?

P.S. Are there any network events in your router's log?

The USB sounds are two different tones one after another. The sample you posted on SoundCloud sounds like a single tone to my ear, but perhaps that's just the way it's recorded. Have you got any more recordings or are they all identical?

P.S. Are there any network events in your router's log?

I could only find today's events. Nothing there. Will search for a file.

Still no sounds today. One change I did make was to disable the 2.4 GHz wireless and only keep the 5 GHz enabled. (My last router only used 2.4 - so there is something in common.) Worth a try...

EDIT: And, yes, the sounds are all identical.

Last edited:
So no sounds at all with network disabled.

I'm also noticing that when our neighbors are gone for a time, the sounds stop. I know this is a stretch, but if they have some sort of smart home system installed, could it possibly make that sound? If so. how could I block it?

Thanks to all.

So no sounds at all with network disabled.
But then you said that you can go for quite some time without hearing the sound. How are you disabling the network, are you unplugging network cables or are your powering off the router?

Can you tell us more about your network setup:
What router do you have?
What devices are connected by Ethernet cables to it (including the WAN) and how long are the cables? Are they all Cat5e or Cat6?
Is the sound present on only wired devices or does it effect wireless clients also?

Edit: As a side note, the on board audio of my motherboard picks up the RF interference from my graphics card (depending on what is being displayed). This then feeds through to the speakers.

Last edited: