What's new

Random WAN drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CntrlAltDel

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

I'm using an Asus RT-AC88U currently on official 3.0.0.4.386_48260 but have been on the last 3 Merlin firmwares.
I've been switching between official and Merlin to resolve an issue I've been having which seems to be random disconnects of the internet.

The net would just drop but show connected on all devices but you cant ping any external host (both IP and dydns).
For months I thought it was the ONT but recently when the net drops I immediately plug my desktop directly into the ONT and dial-up through PPPOE and the net seems to work fine.
Then when connecting back up to the router, it connects again fine so I have no idea what's going on here.

Attachments

• Log - Immediately after when cable is reinsterted to wan on router.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Log - When Net is Dropped.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 43
Hi there,

I'm using an Asus RT-AC88U currently on official 3.0.0.4.386_48260 but have been on the last 3 Merlin firmwares.
I've been switching between official and Merlin to resolve an issue I've been having which seems to be random disconnects of the internet.

The net would just drop but show connected on all devices but you cant ping any external host (both IP and dydns).
For months I thought it was the ONT but recently when the net drops I immediately plug my desktop directly into the ONT and dial-up through PPPOE and the net seems to work fine.
Then when connecting back up to the router, it connects again fine so I have no idea what's going on here.

When was the last time you did a full factory reset and reconfigure from scratch? There are some odd entries in your log. It does appear the PPP tunnel goes down which could point to an issue with your ISP (ONT itself or beyond the ONT).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!