What's new

Ranger802004 Dual WAN Script settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokey613

Very Senior Member
I had to start a new thread due to forum settings not allowing replying to a thread over 6 months old…. ;)

What is the process used to check for WAN connectivity?
What is the recommended values for these settings?
How often does it do this test?

PINGCOUNT=
PINGTIMEOUT=

The reason I ask is I seem to always have a percentage of Packet loss.

This script looks great. I have a use case that I might try to work with this script.

I recently moved to an area that is Internet challenged… I have 12 Mbit DSL and recently was able to get Starlink. Unfortunatly I am in Roaming mode with Starlink - so I get 0 priority and in fact my speeds drop dramatically during what Starlink calls “peak periods”. For me, this is around 5PM and usually lasts until sometime after midnight.
During the day I can often get 100Mb or more. By 6PM - down into single digits. At least with the 12Mb DSL I can stream in the evening.

Besides other users requesting failover based on speed, a simple cron job that would failover from Primary (Starlink) to Secondary (DSL) at 5PM - then failback at 1AM would probably help me - until I finally get out of this Roaming mode (SL claims “Sometime in 2023).

Any advice?

This script looks great. I have a use case that I might try to work with this script.

I recently moved to an area that is Internet challenged… I have 12 Mbit DSL and recently was able to get Starlink. Unfortunatly I am in Roaming mode with Starlink - so I get 0 priority and in fact my speeds drop dramatically during what Starlink calls “peak periods”. For me, this is around 5PM and usually lasts until sometime after midnight.
During the day I can often get 100Mb or more. By 6PM - down into single digits. At least with the 12Mb DSL I can stream in the evening.

Besides other users requesting failover based on speed, a simple cron job that would failover from Primary (Starlink) to Secondary (DSL) at 5PM - then failback at 1AM would probably help me - until I finally get out of this Roaming mode (SL claims “Sometime in 2023).

Any advice?
If you have just one device you need to switch for stream, add
"ip rule add from 192.168.50.XXX to all table 200 priority 150" to switch it to wan1,
then
"ip rule del from 192.168.50.XXX to all table 200 priority 150" to switch back to wan0
EDIT: I have starlink also and dsl, ST sucks for gaming if I ever feel like it. So i have a small script

Code:
#!/opt/bin/bash
if [[ "$1" == "on" ]]; then
        echo "Game ON...."
 ip rule add from 192.168.50.235 to all table 200 priority 150
fi
if [[ "$1" == "off" ]]; then
        echo "Game Off...."
 ip rule del from 192.168.50.235 to all table 200 priority 150
fi

If you have just one device you need to switch for stream, add
"ip rule add from 192.168.50.XXX to all table 200 priority 150" to switch it to wan1,
then
"ip rule del from 192.168.50.XXX to all table 200 priority 150" to switch back to wan0
EDIT: I have starlink also and dsl, ST sucks for gaming if I ever feel like it. So i have a small script

Code:
#!/opt/bin/bash
if [[ "$1" == "on" ]]; then
        echo "Game ON...."
ip rule add from 192.168.50.235 to all table 200 priority 150
fi
if [[ "$1" == "off" ]]; then
        echo "Game Off...."
ip rule del from 192.168.50.235 to all table 200 priority 150
fi
Is the 192.168.50.235 your DSL modem address?

Is the 192.168.50.235 your DSL modem address?
no, thats the client address you would want switched to wan1.. ie: when i want to game i switch my computer to wan1 (the computer is 192.168.50.235), so it would be your streaming device's ip. obviously this can be done with more then just one client. My thoughts are, if you only have 12Mbps dsl, leave all the junk
on starlink that really doesnt matter if it goes slow during peak. Only switch what matters (streaming).

Last edited:
I see, thanks. I have a TV, ATV and Firestick for streamers as well as various on-line devices.
I would rather just failover then failback based on time. I’ll keep exploring ;-)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!