What's new

Raspberry Pi and Firestick Kodi Exodus issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

emukiller

New Around Here
I started my Kodi adventure with an Amazon Firestick and had buffering issues constantly. I figured it was my wireless signal so I did two things. 1. I built a Raspberry Pi 3 Kodi machine and wired it directly 2. I bought a RT-AC1900P so I would have a better wireless speed than AT&T could provide with their modem/router. The new router improved my wireless speeds to about 50mbps down and 5 mbps up and the Raspberry Pi Kodi machine was working fantastic for a week or so. Now both my Kodi devices constantly buffer and we find ourselves pausing and waiting for it to load and then playing it again every night. I noticed the ASUS RT-AC1900P has an IPTV setting and thought there might be something I could do there to speed things up. I also noticed I had a firmware update this evening so I did and then I got an alert that said "The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work." Could this be causing my issue? Is my router not setup properly? Does anyone have recommendations for how to setup Kodi properly to fix these issues? Is Exodus the problem? I thought I might format the Raspberry and reinstall Kodi on a different operating system. I am currently using LibreElec and I thought of switching to OSMC. Any advice would be appreciated.

I started my Kodi adventure with an Amazon Firestick and had buffering issues constantly. I figured it was my wireless signal so I did two things. 1. I built a Raspberry Pi 3 Kodi machine and wired it directly 2. I bought a RT-AC1900P so I would have a better wireless speed than AT&T could provide with their modem/router. The new router improved my wireless speeds to about 50mbps down and 5 mbps up and the Raspberry Pi Kodi machine was working fantastic for a week or so. Now both my Kodi devices constantly buffer and we find ourselves pausing and waiting for it to load and then playing it again every night. I noticed the ASUS RT-AC1900P has an IPTV setting and thought there might be something I could do there to speed things up. I also noticed I had a firmware update this evening so I did and then I got an alert that said "The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work." Could this be causing my issue? Is my router not setup properly? Does anyone have recommendations for how to setup Kodi properly to fix these issues? Is Exodus the problem? I thought I might format the Raspberry and reinstall Kodi on a different operating system. I am currently using LibreElec and I thought of switching to OSMC. Any advice would be appreciated.
Let's start here first. Did you put the AT&T modem/router in bridge mode? Then configure the RT-AC1900P for the WAN connection, using PPoE or other appropriate interface? Or, does the AT&T modem/router still handle the WAN connection and you connected the ASUS router using a LAN to WAN connection?

I can't seem to figure out how to set my AT&T router to bridge mode. What does that typically look like? There are no options that state bridge anything. What about cascaded router or public subnet mode?

I can't seem to figure out how to set my AT&T router to bridge mode. What does that typically look like? There are no options that state bridge anything. What about cascaded router or public subnet mode?

If it's a uVerse residential gateway, you won't be able to bridge it - look for DMZ/DMZ+ functionality...

My modem/router page looks like this:

upload_2017-6-17_12-25-44.png

Here are instructions for LAN to WAN connection if your AT&T device does not support bridge mode:
http://www.linksys.com/ca/support-article?articleNum=132275

The Fiberhome modem/router my ISP provides is a POS. The cpu is underpowered and the firmware lacking. It is a GPON Fiber connection straight to the modem/router. I have not seen any consumer routers that have fiber connections. So I need it for that purpose. Turning it into a modem using bridge mode really helped me and allowed me to use other routers with better CPU and firmware.

You can google the make and model of your AT&T device to see if you can find the manual online to see if turning it into bridge mode is even possible. Or see if you ISP has a modem without the router function you can swap it with.

The Fiberhome modem/router my ISP provides is a POS. The cpu is underpowered and the firmware lacking. It is a GPON Fiber connection straight to the modem/router. I have not seen any consumer routers that have fiber connections. So I need it for that purpose. Turning it into a modem using bridge mode really helped me and allowed me to use other routers with better CPU and firmware.

You can google the make and model of your AT&T device to see if you can find the manual online to see if turning it into bridge mode is even possible. Or see if you ISP has a modem without the router function you can swap it with.

It's complicated - but if you present a strong case, and be polite about it, you might get an upgraded device there...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!