What's new

RAX120 AX6000 AC/AX HT160 CONCURRENT CONNECTION

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ulaganath

Very Senior Member
Does RAX120 support HT160 for both ac and ax at the same time.

Say i want to get 1733 on ac and ax client 2400 which needs HT160. if there is limitation on HT160 cant support need to know.

Would 6E will support .

I have R7800 running fine. Planning to upgrade to ax and found rax120 is all rounder and qualcomm based which works well with my r78k as well. Its stable even for months with no interruption. Its pretty much 3.5 years and still running fine.

Time for upgrade as i was waiting to upgrade to 6E but its only on top of line currently and yet to be released by other brands which i am not sure will opt other than Netgear. Asus is good with software but reliability on WIFI comes with netgear. Especially the custom firmware option.

I have more than 22 devices with average active is 15 devices . Current ISP is 300 Mbps symmetric but i am getting 380+ when symmetric ie both up and down full used its 750+ Mbps.

I am not sure if i plan to run the r78k as AP or wireless bridge if its so i will need full capability of r78k ie 1733 on wireless for max throughput even with local transfer and not limited to just Internet.

Might upgrade wifi card on pc to ax3000 or 3100 for 2400 ax speed.

Its unclear and some info on forums says ac HT160 is not supported. no spec in netgear datasheet shares that as well.

Attachments

• RAX120.PNG
    RAX120.PNG
    494.4 KB · Views: 193
That info is wrong, it does support HT160...

Last edited:
160 is 80+80 combined . But the question is does it support ht160 on ac as well or not. AX is for sure per spec but no info on ac max speed mode.

what is difference between these two

VHT80+80, HE80+80,

And does this still worth to pursue after 2 years launched . Ideally 6E routers should be coming with all lan ports 2.5gig and wan 2.5gig and muti gig 10gig

6E launched is also not top of the hardware as well no type-c capable with more ssd nowadays should be capable of hitting raw speed of ssd read atleast upward 400MB/s

VHT is 802.11ac. HE is 802.11ax. If 160 MHz bandwidth is supported for one, it should be supported for both, unless NETGEAR has somehow disabled wider bandwidth support for one or the other.

160 MHz connotes the use of 8 contiguous 20 MHz 5 GHz channels. 80+80 means the 8 channels can be contiguous or split into two groups of 4. 80+80 allows the use of 160 MHz bandwidth without having to use DFS channels.

The catch is that this requires two separate Tx/Rx chains. So 80+80 is not implemented by any client devices.

Perfect I read somewhere ac 1733 not supported only ax support HT160 but wiki says otherwise. It doesn’t make sense saying backwards compatible but not fully.

so if HT160 is enabled for both 4x4 or 2x2 mu mimo ac wave 2 clients can get 1733 at the same time ax 2x2 get 2400 is that ax need 4 streams for 2400 ie each stream is capable of 600 mbps so 2x2 can hit 1200 and 4x4 get 2400 . Only extender having 8 antenna backhaul hit 4800 which does not make sense unless multi gig is utilised .
Improvement is 433 to 600 per stream .

if 6 upgrade is worth it on top of wave-2 ac router would RAX120 is better choice or would have to wait for opt directly 6E as only top of the line is getting released with mediocre hardware re-using same hardware and too costly as 6E further release on mid level would take some more time

There is no such thing as "8 antenna backhaul". Routers with 8 antennas are still 4 streams per radio. The extra set of 4 antennas is usually for the second 5 GHz radio.

And "MU-MIMO" has nothing to do with link rate. You may be confusing this with MIMO. MIMO is the use of multiple transmit/receive chains by a radio. This technology has been used since 802.11n.

MU-MIMO is the use of beamforming to allow an AP to transmit to mulitple clients in the same transmit timeslot. It has become a standard feature in most AC APs and all AX APs. However, it must be supported by both client and AP.

Okay I still remember MU MIMO

RAX120 has 12 streams is that right or assumption is wrong . 4 streams for 2.4 and 8 streams for 5ghz for 4 x 2x2 or 2 x 4x4

the reason for mU reference was in order to get both ac and ax connect at full phy of 1733 and 2400 at same time assuming the client is capable

It’s 8 Streams on 5Ghz (HT80) and 4 on 2.4 GHz. On HT160 it’s drops to 4 streams in 5Ghz.

And to take advantage of the extra 4 streams for MU-MIMO on HT80 you need clients with 8x8 sounding support, which is not many if any at all at the moment. Well maybe some of the newer Android phones with Qualcomm WiFi chipsets.

Okay I might still need to read a lot of facts. If HT80 each spatial stream is 600 and 8 account to 4800 but no client yet available to claim it. For HT160 even 4 stream ie each is capable of 1200 and 4800 is achieved with just 4 being 80+80 double bandwidth.

so the query is can ac ht160 and ax ht160 would be able to work in conjunction as each need 4 streams on 5GHZ ON wideband
I see lot complaining ax12 rax failure in two months . I remember a post v2 released on this model but spec almost same . After two years launch is this still worth or not . My 7800 works fine for now but it’s range is not able to reach far and I have to use two access point to cover I know single device is not always going to work but just in case if advertised coverage of 3500 even if half is true my requirements fulfilled it’s even less that half

just can’t make any firm decision yet . Would it be as good as 7800 or bad like 7500 v1 . Just don’t want to end up on wave 1 or early draft

so the query is can ac ht160 and ax ht160 would be able to work in conjunction as each need 4 streams on 5GHZ ON wideband
I have answered this question multiple times in the multiple threads where you asked it. 160 MHz channels have nothing to do with the protocol. If it is supported in 11ac, it's suported in 11ax.

I don't know why you are so concerned about 160 MHz channels anyway. They depend on DFS channels, which aren't reliable in many cases. I would not make a router purchase decision based on 160 MHz channel support.

okay