What's new

re-flash

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bazzly

Occasional Visitor
So do the same rules apply for re-flash as DDwrt? 30-30-30? Or is it safe to just re-flash without doing a reset?
I couldnt find anything...

I'm wondering the same thing, I'd like to try the Merlin firmware to see if I can resolve a connection problem with my two Apple Airport Express G routers.

How to reset the Asus RT-N66U router?

So do the same rules apply for re-flash as DDwrt? 30-30-30? Or is it safe to just re-flash without doing a reset?
Hi,

There is no 30-30-30 thing on the Asus RT-N66U device. :eek:

A reset (before and after flashing) is still a good idea if you come from or go to a different firmware or you do a firmware jump over multiple version.

On the DD-WRT wiki page for the RT-N66U the functionally of the hardware buttons explains the reset procedure:
WPS button: pressing the Red WPS button while power-up, will clear the NVRAM. All settings are stored in NVRAM of this ASUS router. Clearing the NVRAM is the most efficient way to reset the router to default settings.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
Hi,

There is no 30-30-30 thing on the Asus RT-N66U device. :eek:

A reset (before and after flashing) is still a good idea if you come from or go to a different firmware or you do a firmware jump over multiple version.

On the DD-WRT wiki page for the RT-N66U the functionally of the hardware buttons explains the reset procedure:

With kind regards

A reset puts the router in recovery mode, is there anything else to do after its in this mode or do I just leave it.

Last edited:
See the Wiki in my signature, it has articles on flashing, flashing back, etc...

A reset puts the router in recovery mode, is there anything else to do after its in this mode or do I just leave it.
Hi,

Do you have any specific need to go to the recovery mode?
Nobody asked you to do so... :confused:

With kind regards

PS.: In recovey mode you have to use Firmware Restoration Utility from Asus to install firmware.
But again: You do not need to go down this route... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi,

Do you have any specific need to go to the recovery mode?
Nobody asked you to do so... :confused:

With kind regards

PS.: In recovey mode you have to use Firmware Restoration Utility from Asus to install firmware.
But again: You do not need to go down this route... :rolleyes:

Using recovery mode is a good way to go if things go wrong the usual way. It has worked for me when a "normal" flash doesn't seem to work. I've also used it when I didn't want to bother worrying about whether a "normal" flash would work, since flashing from recovery mode using the Asus "Rescue" utility pretty nearly always works. Takes longer, but you only have to do it once *smile*.

Just as a heads up... I just reflashed my router, and it would not go on line what so ever. I was using the router as a local DNS server, once I turned it off I was able to get on line.

So if your running DNS locally and cant get online you may want to remove your settings......(Under LAN-DHCP-Server-DNS and WINS Server Setting)

I also found that even tho I had Persistent JFFS2 clicked off it is still enabled...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!