What's new

Readyshare with R7800 eSATA drive?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsmiddleton4

Very Senior Member
I know this is not Netgear support but don’t know where else to ask. Netgear support doesn’t seem to understand. I have an R7800 with eSATA drive attached. Works great for local storage, etc. Shows in the router’s Readyshare setup, shared, all that jazz.

Wanted to setup the ReadyshareCloud so a remote user could download files. Set it up in the router and I can manually go to the drive using the WAN IP, etc.

But when I try to use the Netgear website and have it “see” the router shared resources, it chokes. Finds the router, can’t find any shared resources because it can’t find any drive attached.

Does the web based application require USB drives? It won’t “see” the eSATA drive?

I have several USB drives so I tried one. Sure enough now the readyshare web site shows the drive. BUT now it also shows the eSATA......

Take USB drive out, eSATA goes away.

Strange, a NG bug or omission?
They advertise the eSata connectivity so one would think it would work with their ReadyShare.

Good news is you found a quick fix, and that can surely be fixed somewhere in the firmware scripts...

It is puzzling because near as I can tell the firmware does’t differentiate eSATA vs USB and is only concerned with “Is a drive is connected or not”. Which obviously is not the case otherwise the web based Readyshare site would ”see” just the eSATA drive.

And on NG’s web site about Readyshare it only ever says USB. Never once mentions a connected eSATA drive.

Had a chance to take a quick look and the site shows my eSATA drive as USB0, the USB drive as USB1. Yet with no USB drive it can’t find anything.....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!