What's new

Real WAN IP on the front end

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Laxarus

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I am not sure if this is normal but when I use "External Ip" for DDNS. The IP on the front end still shows the internal IP.
I am using custom DDNS with inadyn.
I had to use double NAT that is why I noticed this.

Is there a way to show "wan0_realip_ip" on the GUI?
Is this normal behavior?

RT-AC5300 with merlin 386.1_2

If you're referring to the WAN IP on the home page, that *is* the real WAN ip! Of course, when the router is daisy-chained behind another router, it's NOT going to be the same as the public IP. And the router doesn't use DDNS to keep you informed of the public IP on the GUI. DDNS is strictly for the benefit of remote access clients.

Ah, I get it.
It means that GUI only shows WAN IP but not the Public IP. Most of the time, WAN IP and Public IP are the same but when using double NAT, it is not.
Thanks.
But Asus should consider adding a Public IP field on the GUI when WAN IP and Public IP are different in addition to the WAN IP field. Might be a feature request for Merlin :).

But Asus should consider adding a Public IP field on the GUI when WAN IP and Public IP are different in addition to the WAN IP field. Might be a feature request for Merlin :).

Not a bad idea. In fact, I initially hit the Internet Status button (top of home page) to see if it might actually report the public IP, but alas it doesn't. Would fit in quite nicely right there.

Yeah, it would be good to have it but not many people use double NAT compared to single NAT. Anyway, it is up to wizard @RMerlin or Asus Team.

Ah, I get it.
It means that GUI only shows WAN IP but not the Public IP. Most of the time, WAN IP and Public IP are the same but when using double NAT, it is not.
Thanks.
When people can start having custom routes, for instance when using a VPN tunnel with policy routing, it then becomes more difficult to show the public IP as this may be different depending on whether a given client is routed through a VPN or not.

So while I could start reporting the IP as reported by querying a stun server, it might not be 100% "accurate" all the time.

When people can start having custom routes, for instance when using a VPN tunnel with policy routing, it then becomes more difficult to show the public IP as this may be different depending on whether a given client is routed through a VPN or not.

So while I could start reporting the IP as reported by querying a stun server, it might not be 100% "accurate" all the time.
Yeah, in that case, this might confuse some people who use that kind of setup.

The only way would be to make it optional like DDNS case where you pick "Internal" or "External".

In this case, you would pick "Standard" or "External". Something like that maybe?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!