What's new

Real world performance of powerline network and performance factors?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mnm

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I recently started using a room on the 2nd floor as a work/study room. I am using a 1750 AC router with 3 antenas on the 1st floor.The rooter provides exceptional signal strength on the entire 1st floor, however, for some reason, I barely get any signal on the 2nd floor and ground floor.
I bought an ac1200 wifi extender, for the second floor room, but I am able to get up to 15Mbit/s when it is connected to the 5ghz network of the main router and extending wifi into both 2.4 and 5ghz, and up to 0.7 Mbit/s when it connects to 2.4Ghz. The singal on this floor is very weak in the first place....

I calculated I would need aprox 50m of LAN cable, I am thinking about powerline adapters. The best ones I could find nearby are D link AV2 1000 with a gigabit ethernet port .

According to some article online, it seems that rated gigabit speeds are just a number on the package, and I could expect 10-15% of this.

Can anyone provide some real world performance data using powerline adapter kits.

What else should I know for powerline installation:
- layout of the power installations- read somewhere that this works only if both units are connected to the same power consumer loop (I have a fuse box on each floor - will this even work?)
- What to look out for to maximize powerline performance?

I hope to get atleast 500-600 Mbit/s real world performance.
Is this achievable with powerline?

Is this achievable with powerline?

As a real world measure - AV1200 with a short span is seeing 500Mbps (between the adapters) and real-world network performance around 120 Mbps...

I calculated I would need aprox 50m of LAN cable

then run it

as

powerline aint going to give you what you are looking for

the wifi sounds like you might have concrete floors blocking the signal

1750 AC route

whats the actual make and model as 1750ac only indicates what wifi its got

then run it

as

powerline aint going to give you what you are looking for

the wifi sounds like you might have concrete floors blocking the signal

whats the actual make and model as 1750ac only indicates what wifi its got

I guess, the powerline is not an option then.

Actually, the walls are made of masonry+concrete, but there is a metal wire reinforcement wire in the construction, which could be the problem for the wifi signals. The crossection of the wires is aprox. 10mm, and on some parts of the horizontal construction it is built like a 10x10 cm net.

As a real world measure - AV1200 with a short span is seeing 500Mbps (between the adapters) and real-world network performance around 120 Mbps...

The router is TP Link Archer C7 v2. I also have a D Link AC1200 extender ( I think DHP 1620 is the model).

I am reading things about the MOCA network.

Since I also have Coax cables to each of the rooms labeled RG 6U 75 ohm, and LAN cables from the machine room to 4 rooms on all floors, I think this is the way to go. I also have an additional COAX to the attic, where the fibre cable and modem are installed.

I managed to find these Sendtek coax-ethernet bridge units in a store: http://www.sendtek.com/prod-ces83x.php

Does anyone have an idea if I can use these Sendtek units?

The price is aprox. 95 USD/unit.

I cant seem to find Actiontec units in my country, or any other MOCA adapter ...

Can someone comment if any of these scenarios is possible before I order these units, and if both are possible which one is better?

Scenario 1:

Fibre modem LAN port-> TP LINK Archer c7 (work/study room on floor 3) -> LAN cable -> Sentek 1 -> coax cable -> Santek 2-> Lan cable-> gigabit LAN switch-> existing LAN network -> Dlink Wifi extender ( floor 2)

Scenario 2:

Fibre modem LAN port (attic)-> LAN cable -> Sendtek 1 -> coax cable -> Sendtek 2-> Lan cable-> TP LINK Archer c7 (machine room floor 1)
-> existing LAN network ->
->Dlink Wifi extender ( floor 1)
- new router (floor 2)

I would prefer scenario 1 since it is a little bit cheaper (aprox. 50 USD). I am not sure if the Sendtek units would enable all of the devices to be part of the same IP network range? Any ideas?

Scenario 1 would require me to use the same cable for both TV and MOCA signal, while in scenario 2 I would have a separate coax for the moca signal- no interference with TV.

Is this worth it, or do I go for the new CAT 6 cable installation ( which would be cheaper, but not as convenient)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!