What's new

Realtime traffic analysis using port mirroring/packet sniffing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skelshy

New Around Here
We have been having quite a bit of streaming problems around the house. The dropouts last anywhere from 5 to 20 seconds or sometimes the stream (twitch, youtube, Netflix, HBO) just times out and has to be restarted.

I have a smart switch so the obvious approach was to set up a mirror port. I added a second NIC to one of my machines and unbound all protocols. I can now capture all traffic going in or out of my Netgear R7000.

However, the answer is probably not on the packet level. Is there a free or inexpensive software that allows for traffic monitoring? I am looking for an answer that either clearly blames my wireless network. or Frontier FIOS. In a sense that I can see 3000 kbit/s going in for a time and then not... or something like that.

There's a bunch of commercial stuff that I was able to find... the kind where there's not even a price posted :(Don't mind paying a reasonable price.

Thanks
Skelshy

I am looking at a reporting solution using the asus merlin firmware and pulling daily reports on a per device basis. I can report back if my solution would work, but an on the fly method as you are wanting may have more administrative overhead than you are wanting to deal with.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!