What's new

Rebooting Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I have an RT-AC86U running the latest firmware.

Sometimes, when I reboot the router from within the GUI, all the leds go off and remain off. It's as if the router has just turned off as the log-on screen doesn't pop up either. Turning off the router by the switch on the back and then back on again restores normal functionality. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I've seen this reported numerous times. Seems to be an issue with the 86U crashing when it shuts down.

did not see it since some time now, maybe newer firmwares fixed it.
I'm running stock now.

did not see it since some time now, maybe newer firmwares fixed it.
I'm running stock now.
Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe I'll trying running the stock firmware next month when everyone else is out of the house, so I can see if it still happens.

I have an RT-AC86U running the latest firmware.

Sometimes, when I reboot the router from within the GUI, all the leds go off and remain off. It's as if the router has just turned off as the log-on screen doesn't pop up either. Turning off the router by the switch on the back and then back on again restores normal functionality. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Yes, not often, but does happen.

Often I get the problem that GUI is not responsive on 68U and 86U both in AP mode with stock or Merlin.
Can be solved with SSH 'service restart_httpd'.
Had it just again about 10 times.
Seem to be an issue, when I am connected via one router and change or disable this band I am connected to.
PC will use same SSID on other band or other router, but than GUI is frozen on previous router.

I did this to be connected to a dedicated band to measure the speed and test if it will auto-connect, because had the problem, that PC couldn't connect to one router main-SSID before, but no issue with same router guest-SSID.
So tested both 2G/5G main SSID on both routers. Turned off 3 and test remaining one.
Then open another band on other router and disable previous band -> GUI frozen!

I’m having this issue with my brand new RT-86u. I installed Merlin when I got it. Every time I’ve tried to reboot from the web interface, it goes down and doesn’t come back up. I was having success rebooting it from ssh with the “reboot” command, but I just did that and it didn’t come back up. Is there any way to fix this?

I’m having this issue with my brand new RT-86u. I installed Merlin when I got it. Every time I’ve tried to reboot from the web interface, it goes down and doesn’t come back up. I was having success rebooting it from ssh with the “reboot” command, but I just did that and it didn’t come back up. Is there any way to fix this?
The first thing I suggest you do is disable all third party customisation, like ad-blockers or entware packages, and see if the problem is still present.

The first thing I suggest you do is disable all third party customisation, like ad-blockers or entware packages, and see if the problem is still present.
I had never installed 3rd party software, running plain AP-mode with stock or Merlin.
And still have this problem sometimes with latest firmwares on 68U, 86U and my newer 86U.
Mostly after changing something in WiFi.