What's new

Rebuilding network (updating) offered a RT-N16 to use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

db9

Occasional Visitor
Currently running a WRT-54GL (tomato) with wireless turned off as my router behind the ISP modem. This acts as the DHCP and fire wall. I have update everything behind the router to 1G ports and AC1750 WiFi.
I have been offered a RT-N16 to use as a replacement for the 54GL (because the N16 has 1G ports)
The real feature that I'm using currently under tomato is monitoring data usage of attached devices, but I am interested in implementing OpenVPN.

I come to ask of the merlin – fork forum,
  1. Can I do data usage monitoring in Merlin (fork)?

2. Can I implement OpenVPN as well?
I could go and buy a 'newer' router – but I thought I’d explore this option first.

If I were to buy a new router what would be the current suggestion? (Dont need much - 1G ports, OpenVPN, data monitoring, 2.4/5 radio(s) )

Thanks for taking the time to read

Would you suggest that I re-post my question in the other forum or will it be seen here?

Would you suggest that I re-post my question in the other forum or will it be seen here?
Give it 24 hours and see if you get any replies.

There a review of the N16 here. What is you internet speed?

In ideal conditions the N16 tops out at 140Mbps. But with it's slow CPU and limited RAM I'd guess you'd be lucky to get 10Mbps through OpenVPN, assuming it works at all!

I'd recommend that you spend a small amount of money on something a bit more powerful (and still supported) and save yourself a lot of hassle.

Thank you
I'm on a 100M d/l service but I usually see @120

If I upgrade what would you suggest?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!