What's new

Recommend a router for 2-Xbox setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rbtabris

New Around Here
(I go into great detail about my setup on this thread.)

I have two Xbox 360 Slim models (bought summer 2011, built-in wireless n), a 50 down/10 up connection, and an Apple Time Capsule which is now several years old (potentially 1st gen; maybe 2nd gen).

We have had inconsistencies with NAT on our consoles. We can boot them both up and both will have moderate NAT, boot them up and one is open the other moderate, etc. We can then turn them off, turn them right back on, and have open NAT (or moderate, or a mix between the two consoles — it's NAT roulette).

I thought I had read before that plugging in through Ethernet should resolve any issue with moderate/strict NAT (maybe that's wrong?), but we get moderate NAT even when plugging in through Ethernet. So, WiFi or Ethernet, we get NAT roulette, and a diminished experience when both consoles are on Xbox LIVE at the same time (like, say, when we want to try and play multiplayer on Call of Duty: Black Ops II together).

I feel that my connection ought to be strong enough to support two systems on LIVE at the same time. If you read the other thread I've linked, you'll see I mentioned that I tested plugging an Xbox directly into our modem and had little issue, so I'm thinking that the problem may lie in the router.

So, anyone else with a multiple-Xbox setup that could recommend me a good router? I'd like a wireless router for the other devices in the house (notebooks, smartphones, etc.), but have no problem plugging the consoles into Ethernet for gaming.

Last edited:
I'm not an Xbox expert. But I think you are trying to make something work that is not supported by design.

Unless each Xbox can be assigned a different range of ports to use, then I can't see how this will work reliably. Triggered port forwarding and UPnP NAT Traversal are designed to automatically open and close ports to handle cases like this, i.e. two servers trying to use the same ports. But I suspect they can't switch back and forth at gaming speeds.

This is a pretty good thread that explains the two Xbox problem and other NAT problems. (Scroll down to Two or more Xbox consoles for multiplayer at the same time section.)

There are supposedly some routers that have good UPnP implementations that can support multiple Xboxes reliably. You will be better off searching Xbox related forums for the answer.

Thanks for your reply. Did you mean to link a thread in your post? You make mention of scrolling down to a string of text, but I don't see a link to follow.

I had the same problems...

with 2 PS3s and after months reading about why I couldn't get get NAT open on 2 of my PS3s I finally figured out that my router's latest firmware update for my router started giving the exact problem that you described it so all I had to do was to revert to one firmware update that would work with the 2 PS3s. I use the RT-N56U router and older firmware as the newest one update won't work with my PS3S. I use a Motorola SB6120 modem. So I guess all depends with the router's firmware that you are using in your router. Look for a router's firmware that have good UPnP implementations that can support multiple Xboxes reliably.

Last edited:
One option with the two x-Boxen - port forward the xbox (a) to the correct ports.

The other xbox - xbox (b) - put it in the DMZ (default host in Airport Utility speak)

give that a try...

I know this is kind of an older thread. But I have 3 Xbox 360's that can get on Live at the same time. I had NAT problems at first. But manually setting up an IP on each box instead of using DHCP. I have UPnP enabled and QOS setup to have each Xbox as priority. I know QOS has nothing to do with NAT but it helps with efficiency.

This is on a Dlink DIR-655.