What's new

Recommendation for router with per-device quotas, maybe per-device VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fredekr

New Around Here
Hi there,

tldr: What router would you recommend that has per-device quotas, solid reliability especially regarding heat dissapation, and preferably robust VPN?

I currently have a RT-N66U running Asuswrt-Merlin. Since I pay per megabyte for internet service, I need a way to put a quota on the bandwidth certain devices use. For example, I want to set a monthly cap of 5Gb for a certain MAC address.

Since I haven't found a way to do that with the RT-N66U, and the router seems to be having hardware issues (it's had a hard life, owing to a hot environment and frequent power outages), I am shopping for a new router. I'm looking for recommendations especially with regard to software features.

No gamers here and our internet connection is over a 4G network so I don't need the fastest machine out there. Mostly I'm interested in reliability and quota-setting.

My house does not have a/c and does get hot at times, so a device that has good heat dissipation is a plus.

I use a VPN sometimes as well -- is there any router out there that can push certain devices through the VPN, but not others?

I have a mixture of old and new devices accessing the router. Probably it's time to upgrade the two PC wifi cards as they are several years old, but I've got some old-ish iPads and Kindles as well. On my RT-N66U I do have a USB hard drive connected to act as a simple NAS for backup and media.

I've looked at the reviews of the Synology RT2600ac and the NETGEAR R7800 Nighthawk X4S, both of which are probably overkill, but that's fine if they have the software features I'm looking for. Or perhaps the Asus RT-AC86U? I'm not afraid of flashing, etc., but I do have a family and life outside my router :)

Thanks!
Kevin