1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Recommendation for VPN for Roku

Discussion in 'VPN' started by Biggupp, Mar 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Biggupp

Biggupp Occasional Visitor

I am researching VPN's with the primary purpose of whole-house security. Which means configuring my Asus RT-AC88U to accommodate the new service.

Yet, VPN's also tout your changing your virtual location to be able to watch shows not available in the US. To change countries in this setup, You have to login to the router and change the country manually. Vendors such as ExpressVPN, NordVPN said this is the only way to do this.

I can't believe this is such a unique protection scheme. Is there a VPN vendor that offers any way to manage this?

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

There is no such thing as a VPN offering security when you're in control of only one end of the tunnel. And you are always in control of only one end unless you are just accessing your own personal information (between locations) and accessing nothing at all on the 'net. :)

Look elsewhere for security, i.e. not from an external (third-party) source.

Amwjujo and heysoundude like this.
  3. heysoundude

heysoundude Very Senior Member

Surely some of these VPN providers have apps/plugins/addons for roku if they offer them for kodi.

4. Biggupp

Biggupp Occasional Visitor

I meant security in protecting us from an ISP et al seeing our online info.

5. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

@Biggupp, that would depend if the ISP isn't also an endpoint or maintaining a server for the VPN you are using too. :)

6. MichaelCG

MichaelCG Very Senior Member

Security or Privacy?
    Do you really worry that your ISP is snooping? Maybe they are? What are you trying to prevent them from seeing or doing? Do you trust the 3rd party VPN provider to not do the same? Who is their ISP? Just make sure you are chasing the VPN for the correct reasons. There will always be performance and stability trade-offs to any VPN setup.

As for the ability to change where the tunnel terminates to. As far as I know...this is just a limitation on how VPN technologies usually work. I have NordVPN which I can use on a phone, laptop, or my router. On my router, it is pretty much a static tunnel. On my phone or laptop, I can pick where I want to terminate to on the fly. For what its worth, I have yet to find much value in Nord (or a few others I tested) in bypassing viewing restrictions within the US. The VPNs actually caused more problems for me since even when I was still terminating to the US, HBO and Netflix both prevented me from connecting since I was coming in from a known VPN IP address. That is the primary reason I do not use VPNs for this function at the network layer....then again, I really don't watch that much content online so it isn't something I have put that much effort into.

My primary use case for VPN is securing my browsing activities while I'm outside of my home on un-trusted WiFi.

CaptainSTX likes this.